Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a 15 year old Maytag Fridge-freezer which no longer

Customer Question

Hello MichAEL
I have a 15 year old Maytag Fridge-freezer which no longer cools or freezes.
The is an intermittent click coming from the back of the unit. All lights work, and there are fans running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's paid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a fair amount of ice in the freezer before it gave up. I switched it off an cleared the whole unit out. Switched it back on after 3 days and it started working again. The switch off for 2 days while I cleaned the unit. I removed the internal inspection panels to check to see if anything obvious had become dis connected. All looked fine and there is air circulating in both fridge and freezer.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

If you remove the back cover at the bottom there you will see the compressor (black pot). Feel this and see if its hot to touch and let me know.

Also is the clciking noise comming from the compressor as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its the starter relay, after a long search I found the exact symptoms and the relay rattles when shaken. The compressor is getting hot. I have ordered a new relay and should be fitting it as soon as it arrives.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries glad to hear you found the fault. Thats where i was leading to as when the relays fail you get the clicking as the compressor cannot start correctly so clicks off.

Fingers crossed the relay will cure it for you but if it doesnt and you still have the same fault then im afraid its the compressor itself faulty here. But most of the time the starter relay fixes the fault.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.