George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a really stupid question. My new rangemaster cooker

I have a really stupid question. My new rangemaster cooker has just been delivered and in unpacking there is brown felt secured by wire wrapped around the inside workings and I am not sure if I should remove or leave it?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 9 months ago.

Not a stupid question. Can you elaborate please Jenny..

Which inside workings are you referring to?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not the oven that I would use for cooking but if I look underneath the cooker from the bottom packing is wrapped around everything I can see.

The oven comes in protective wrapping to prevent damage whist in transport... That protective wrapping should be removed before using the appliance for cooking.

Can you tell me the model of the appliance Jenny?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Rangemaster Classic Ceramic 60. I was confused because there are pictures showing how to unpack but there is no mention of this internal packing either in the pictures or in the user guide

Can you send me a picture of what you are describing as this sounds like the cavity insulation for the main oven however that is usually white.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can but it will be a little while as I am on a work call. Certainly cavity insulation sounds like what it is.

If it is cavity insulation then it should not be removed.. but if you send me a photo then I can confirm that for you.

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello - file attached. Now that you have said there should be internal insulation I am pretty sure this is what it is.

That is the insulation for the oven Jenny. Don't remove that.

That insulation keeps the heat in your oven.. If you remove it, your oven will go cold fast; will cost a lot of money to run; may damage adjacent furniture from the referred heat; may burn you if you touch it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks. One more thing I can't find the mains cable. Attached photo shows the box on the back that I would expect the cable to be connected to but I can't find a cable. I have double checked all of the packaging although I would have expected it to be attached to the cooker.

In your image you have a black Terminal Block on the rear of the appliance...

The wiring needed to supply power to the appliance connects to that box and is rarely supplied with an appliance..

This job is best completed by an appliance engineer.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No problem. I purchased the relevant cable and connected the cooker. It all works perfectly. Thank you