Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have just installed a Teko dishwasher which is from Spain

Customer Question

Hi, I have just installed a Teko dishwasher which is from Spain and has a European plug. I am using an adaptor but it will not switch on. I have done the obvious, such as check with a different socket, and made sure I'm using the on button on the front, but still no power or lights coming on.
What would be the next step you'd suggest?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 6 months ago.

What you can do on this if it has the European plug top on it is cut it off and replace it with a normal UK 3 pin plug top.

As the wiring will be the same ie 3 core live, neutral and earth. So rewire it with a normal UK plug top and then see how it goes from there.

As the dishwasher if its come from spain should work here as its the same voltage and Hz so it will work fine in the uk.

So try a new plug top and see if this works and let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Just replaced the plug & checked with 2 sockets & 2 fuses, alas still nothing...
Next?

Ok so if the plug top is fine and the sockets are as well then its a fault in the dishwasher.

Remove the outer door panel and then remove the plastic control panel.

From there check the wiring on the control board and the switches on there aswell in case theres bad connections on the wiring. If the connections are fine then you need a test meter and check theres power going to the control board. If there is then its going to be a faulty control unit which would need to be replaced to cure this.

But check the wiring first if you can incase its a loose connection on there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By outer door panel do you mean the metal interior of the door? (it is the only part of the door I can see with screws, thus is removable)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Think I just answered my own question - need to unscrew the back in order for the front plastic to come off.....

Yes thats it. As you pull down the door you will see the screws on the inside of the metal inner door. Remove them and then you can remove the outer door and the control panel from there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have done that and now can see the control panel.. What am I looking for in the way of faulty wiring?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can see the main wiring from the switch to the control panel & beyond... It all seems pretty intact..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the switch is clicking as I press it on & off so the mechanism is still working.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only thing I notice are some possible burn marks on the plastic casing.... Is this a sign of anything??
If you see burn marks on the casing the. The control unit has more the. Likely burnt out as well.If you are able to remove the control board and open it up and check for signs of burning on there. And if there is the. You need to replace the control unit.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can only see burn marks on the plastic covering on the wires leading from the back of the switch, and on the plastic covering on the wires leading to what looks like a big white capacitor (which the switch wires would have been sitting against when the unit was screwed in place), The control panel all looks fine from what I can see. I'm trying to attach a photo but doesn't seem to want to..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Photos here..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Main control board looks ok..k
Ok what you need to do is test the switch in that's in the first picture.You need a test meter for this. Disconnect the wires and test the switch switches over when you press itIt should switch from blue to white wires for continuity and black to brown wires again for continuity when the switches turned onIf you don't get a reading on one side then the switch is faulty.But if it does switch over then it's a faulty control board I'm afraid if the power is switching over.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Is there anymore info you need on this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've just ordered a switch so waiting for this to arrive.

Ok no worries. Did you check it and was it faulty?