JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have installed a new SHB33071 cooker on my narrowboat. I

I have installed a new SHB33071 cooker on my narrowboat. I am unable to get the 12v spark ignition working. Is there a wiring diagram available?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your query today.

Thetford do not produce any engineering manuals for this model, which I believe to be a 3 burner hob based on the SKU code provided.

To clarify you have checked the 12V supply with a volt meter and content this is live?

The 12V supply should connect to the spark generator via a spade terminal, if you are confident you have voltage going to the spark generator can you please send me a picture so I can assist you further?

These units dont require any calibration, so it may be the spark generator has failed.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JamesI have taken a couple of photos. How do I send them.? John
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

There should be a paper clip icon on the page your messaging me from. Failing that you can go to this website http://postimage.org/ and load it for free, then send me the link it generates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the spark generator a separate item? the thin wires from under each of the 3 burners join together in one spade connector with the red 12v wire attached.
Black was earthed to the unit. Is this correct?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi, no this doesnt sound right.

This hob has an ignition button built into the burner control knob from what I understand, so each anode on the burner should go to the spark generator circuit which is normally about 10cm by 4cm in size. There should then be a separate terminal where you connect the 12v supply.

This way, when you turn on the burner via the control knob the spark is generated, from what you are suggesting you have attached a 12v supply directly to the anode, so there isnt a mechanism to control when the spark is created and secondly a circuit to increase the voltage to a point which will allow it to create a spark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I appears the Spark Generator unit was not provided. The Supplier insists there is no separate item with this unit.
IThe data panel on the unit clearly states " 12V Spark Ign:" Do you know if this is an aftermarket item or if it should have been an integral part of the unit
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

The 12V spark ignition is an optional component, however if the version you have states 12V ignition then it should have come with the spark generator. I have never seen a hob come with the fly leads to the anodes and not the generator before, it sounds like they forgot to ship it with the generator to me.

Certainly you need to have a generator which takes the 12V and increases the voltage to create a spark, this may be built into the unit, but on every unit I have seen its a separate board, such as the ones found here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I understand the problem now and will chase up again with the supplier an or Manufacturer.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I would appreciate it if you could please rate the service received today.

James