Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a smeg SUK61MFX with a faulty oven. The oven heats

Customer Question

Hi George
I have a smeg SUK61MFX with a faulty oven. The oven heats up,. say for 20mins and then shuts off. The clock goes black at the same time.
It's usable again after cooling down.
Any thoughts?
Nigel
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nigel - I've just spoken to George who is out doing service calls at the minute and cant get a connection to the internet so hes asked me to help resolve your issue. If you would prefer to talk to George I can put the call on hold until he gets back. Totally up to you?? Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi IanHappy for you to help!Thanks
Nigel

OK in the round it will be either the main oven thermostat or alternatively the main oven selector switch. Just as a quick check can you switch the main oven on and set it at its lowest setting and then tell me if it switches the temperature light off after say ten to fifteen minutes or shorter.

Sorry for the delay in response both George and I are business owners but also run field service operation too which means we spend a good amount of time out on the road during busy times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,No problem.
I set the fan oven to 50'c and it took about 5 1/2 mins for the light to go out.

OK have you any means of checking the temperature when the appliance is in operation ie a oven dial thermomenter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the temps with an oven thermometer:Set @ 50' it took 4 mins for the light to go out - actual temp 75'
set @ 125' - 3.5 mins - actual temp 125'
set @ 175' (fan came on at 175') - took 5.5 mins for light to go out - actual temp 190'
set @ 225' - 9 mins - actual temp 255'
set @ 260' - 8 mins - actual temp 290'For the final temp, it clicked off immediately not reached 290' and the clock went dark.Hope this helps!

OK first thing I note is that the fan is not starting up as you switch the oven on, so first to look at is stick a small screwdriver through the back of the oven and see if the oven spins freely, it should not be stiff at all - then come back to me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It spins freely and actually runs immediately - I just couldn't hear it.It seems to go up a gear at 175'c and became v noisy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was alerted to an answer - but I can't see one!!

Sorry I dont know what happened there the answer seems to have disappeared - OK the first thing I would do is change the main oven thermostat as it seems to be letting the temperature go too high. What then happens is that a safety cut-out cuts the power to the circuit and the oven goes off, It will then reset itself when the temperature drops but then the cycle starts again. Can you tell me what the distance is between the front facia and where the open sensor goes into the oven itself as we may be able to get you a cheaper replacement than the £45 plus on listed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiApologies. I got distracted by politics!!The distance from the rod-like object at left rear (open sensor?) is 45cm to where the inside of door sits.I would add a pic but 'add files' button not working,.Thanks

OK leave this with me and when I get to work tomorrow I will see if we have one of this length

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to check I'm understanding what the open sensor is... from this rod to front is what I measured.Thanks

Yes that is fine, the rod pictured is the sensing element for the thermostat ~ if you send your name and address to --***@******.*** -- I'll send you one down. Once you get it, I can talk you through fitting it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That email bounces!

OK I'll get it off to you tomorrow and you can come back to me when you have it to hand and I'll explain how to fit it.

sorry should have put my glasses on -- .com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try that!

Yes gotcha.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiyaDid you send anything, as nothing's arrived yet?!Thanks.

Yes went out yesterday so maybe a couple yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!