Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Just moved in to new home yesterday. AEG fridge freezer does

Just moved in to new home yesterday. AEG fridge freezer does not want to cool down. Model no:SCS71801F1. Shows temperature settings on LED. 4 deg Fridge, -15 freezer, more like 18 and 18 deg respectively. Triangle light flashing to indicate temp gone up ?! Help?! Please.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 9 months ago.

Can you hear the compressor motor running?

Also open the fridge door and feel the back wall and press against it and feel it and see if any part of it is spongy as you can press it in and it pops out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think the motor tries to kick in for a few seconds every now and then. No sponginess on back wall and cannot push it in (out?).

Ok when you say it trys to kick is every now and then do you then hear it click off as trys to start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Clicks on. 4-5 secs later clicks off. Occurs infrequently.

Ok im sorry this isnt good news.

The compressor is the fault here. Now theres a change theres no gas in there as the compressor has stalled due to it overheating and cutting out thats why its clicking off.

Now this isnt a diy repair. You need to get a fridge engineer as they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see if theres still gas in the system.

Now this isnt a cheap fix. You are looking at around £250-300 for a compressor fitted.

But if you give AEG a bell they do a repair plan for faulty appliances. This is about £16 a month as you pay monthly and it covers the whole appliance for 12 months. So this will be the better option here to repair it as its cheaper for them to do it rather then get an indenpent engineer out.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hmm. Moved in yesterday. Brand new fridge, is that a common fault? Thanks for the advice. Sam

It no common on a brand new but does happen. I see it now and then as the other day i had a brand new one delivered the day before and not working. When i got there it was a broken compressor stub which let the gas leak out and caused the compressor to fail.

So as you say its brand new then forget the above about the payment as it will be covered by the warrenty. So you need to either get them in to fix it or if you can get it exchanged.

Personally i would get it exchanged as you dont want a new fridge thats had a system repair as it shortens the life span out of it so try and get it exchanged as you have 28 days from buying it were they have to exchange it for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help.

Your very welcome.

If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.