Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a N112 fridge fitted in my Elddis 302 caravan. When

Customer Question

Hi I have a N112 fridge fitted in my Elddis 302 caravan. When purchased from a private seller in December 2015 the fridge was working on his 240v domestic supply. In preparation to my first trip in May I turned on the fridge on 240v mains and it didn't cool down. It works fine on the gas supply so I assume there can be no problem with lack of refrigerant circulation.
Are there any fuses within the fridge which may have blown? The interior light is on when connected to Mains and 12v battery supply.
Reading forums there seem to have been lots of similar problems with this model of fridge and the model now is discontinued. What has been the most common solution to resolve this problem?
Brian R
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** me a moment just to check the diagrams and I'll come back to you.

OK and overview so you can understand how the thing works, there are no compressors ~ movement of the refrigerant is carried out by heating and the refrigerant circulating by convection. In your model there are two (three if you have DC supply) heating sources - 1 x 240 volt heating element (1 x 12 volt if fitted) and one gas flame. You have mentioned that the fridge works fine on gas so as you state there will be no problem with the refrigerant. You therefore have to check the electric heaters and firstly confirm that they have power going to them and if so if they are actually heating up. If you have no power going to them then the problem will be the main pcb. If power is there but no heat then the element has failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply and what you have suggested is the logical way forward. The supplementary question I asked was as this seems to be a common fault with this and other Thetford models do you know which parts tends to fail. Many people have had expensive repairs performed on their units only to find that the fridge fails in the same manner very soon afterwards.
Can you tell me what the ohms values should on the two heaters? Obviously zero if they have failed but in what range should they be at for normal use?

In the round I would expect the resistance of the 240 volt one to be around 20-30 ohms, not sure about the 12 volt one as we dont have any here and rarely change them. The major cause of this problem seems to be the main pcb and I note that not for the first time the latest pcb has changed. Usually an indication of there being a problem with a component. I'm afraod om the round Thetford have an awful reputation for reliability - perhaps a time to ponder replacement with an all electric model from on of the other manufacturers. I think that I have gone as far as I can - would you kindly rate the information given sofar, by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions are free. Thank you for using JA and have a good evening - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have now rated you as Four star. If you could answer a question from my original question i.e. is the an internal fuse within the Fridge I would be grateful.
Thank You \
Brian Ransom

There is no internal fuse shown Bryan - thanks for the rating.