How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1591
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
JamesI is online now

I have a Bosch HME9750GB combi microwave oven. It made a

Resolved Question:

Hi Michael
I have a Bosch HME9750GB combi microwave oven. It made a popping sound and tripped the mcb last night and now when reset the led display lights up and then slowly fades away. I have checked both fuses on the main board and they are okay..any ideas?
Cheers Ross
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ross, thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** will assist with your query today.

The fault in the microwave sounds like diode or PCB power module failure, the popping noise you heard is often associated with a magnetron problem, an educated guess would be the magnetron failed which caused a surge which damaged the diode or PCB, which in turn tripped your MCB.

Unfortunately this doesnt sound like an economical repair, since you have already checked the fuses, the next place to start would be checking the diode with a multi meter, the spare can be sourced from here (if found to be faulty). You cant easily test the magnatron until you have the power circuit working, however the PCB costs circa £150, the magnatron £100, so would advise against repairing the unit if the diode appears to be functioning.

Regards

James

JamesI and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James, thanks for the response. I removed the PCB and found that one of the tracks for a relay on the board are blown. I see where you are coming from and it could turn out to be a costly repair. It has given us good service so I think it's time for a new one.CheersRoss