George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Oven and gas hob (brand rangemaster) stopped working: even

Customer Question

Oven and gas hob (brand rangemaster) stopped working: even the time display is off. Only when I turn the grill dial 10 degrees the red grill warning light turns on, so there is definitely power supply. This is the only sign of electricity I can see
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the power supply to the oven is fine then you need to pull the oven out and remove the back panel.

From there you will see the mains connection were the power cable goes to. From there check the wiring in there and make sure its all ok.

If thats fine then on the back of the oven cavity is the thermal cut out. It will have 2 wires going to it and is usually in the live feed from the mains connection up to the timer unit.

You need a multi meter to test the thermal cut out and see if faulty. If so then you need to replace this as if this fails then this can cause athe fault you have as the power first goes from the mains connection through the thermal cut out then to the controls at the top.

So you need to check the thermal cut out on the back of the oven and see what you find from there.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello John, my name is George..

Can you tell me the serial number of the appliance please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find it anywhere (not on the hob, not inside the storage drawer not on the front etc)
the cooker looks exactly like http://www.cookersandovens.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Elan-FE-Roomset-1.jpg

Is it on the back of your manual?

I need it to access the wiring for your appliance.

Are we any closer to getting the serial number John?

The issue sounds like it is the Clock/Timer issue and because the unit is not working the only part of the appliance that is working is the part that is not controlled by the Timer 'Manual' Relays.. However, I cannot be exact on that until I have the serial number so that I can get the wiring schematic for the appliance.

regards

George

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial number has burnt off. From the remainder of the sticker I guess it is a rangemaster Elan 110 dual fuel.
I do not have a manual as the cooker was aleady there when I moved in the house.

Ok John.. Are you saying that the gas hob is also not working?