Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

We have a new zanussi frost free fridge freezer. When the

Customer Question

Hi we have a new zanussi frost free fridge freezer. When the main fridge door closes the freezer door opens. We've discovered the dreezer door open and food defrosted unintentionally - we have to continuously throw out food as it poses a risk. Is there an easy way to fix this problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

When one door is closed, there is a pressure increase that causes the other door to open. That excess pressure is designed to be released through the defrost drain hole. I suspect that drain hole is plugged. Open the doors and unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours to allow a full thaw of all the air paths in between the walls and you should have no more trouble with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying so quickly Kelly. The fridge is only installed 9 days - is there any other reason it may be happening? Does it occur if a fridge is recently defrosted?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If a door was accidentally left open, even one time, it will draw air and freeze up. It may be out of position, too, from the factory and plugged.