Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I've installed a consumer unit containing residual current

Customer Question

I've installed a consumer unit containing residual current devices. I now find that the Miele condensing tumble dryer (about 18 years old but looks brand new inside) trips the RCD protecting the circuit the dryer is plugged into. When switched on the dryer runs until the drum changes direction from clockwise rotation to anti-clockwise rotation. Almost as soon as it starts in the anti-clockwise direction the rcd trips. I've monitored electrical current with an earth leakage clampmeter and there is little or no current leakage as the dryer runs to point when it changes direction. During the change of direction the meter goes off the scale and the rcd trips. If the dryer is switched back on immediately afterwards it runs ok, always starting in the clockwise direction.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

May I have the full model # ***** your dryer?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Novotronic 650t
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. This problem could be the motor or the main control board.

Usually it's the main boards relay circuit that has a shorted transistor.

To prove this you can remove the motor and bench test it to be sure the motor windings are shorted.

If they are, then the motor will cause the problem by itself so you will knwo for sure if it is just the motor.

That is the next step in this process.

Once you verify the motor as good, you can be sure you need a new main control board ;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Sincerely

Tech Michael