JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have an Atag ( dutch make ) electric induction hob, which

Customer Question

I have an Atag ( dutch make ) electric induction hob, which is operated by touch on the glass. The 'lock' to use the appliance will not operate as there is a flashing red square light above the lock key symbol. I have tried switching off and on both at the plug and later at the fuse box, to no good effect. I am unable to find any adequate support from Atag. A replacement hob can cost in excess of £600-00 before fitting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I probably don't need to add that none of the hobs operate as a result of this problem.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide me with the model\product number and serial number if you have it.

This should allow me to pull up the spec for your hob, this sounds most likely a hardware fault, however in many cases replacing components is not very costly.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number is ***** and it's an ATAG. I am attaching an image illustrating the problem.This was fitted some years ago, and before we bought the house, so have inherited it.I have the Atag manual but there is no mention of this blinking square light or what it indicates. Tag customer service seems rather poor to me. Thanks for your help
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Normally I would have expected the display to show an error code.

With the unit switched off, I would use some glass cleaner and give the entire hob a good clean and ensure its grease free.

Turn the hob back on and then see if the red light comes back on.

If it does this would suggest a general hardware fault, reading into this abit further it could be a sensor fault, since for both lock and pause lights to illuminate it suggests there is a problem with the control panel interface.

Let me know the outcome of cleaning it, and if the fault is still occurring I will get quotes for a repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I too would have expected an error. I have emailed Atag in Holland to see if they can help, but am not expecting much of a response as all their site is in Dutch with no English to help, their after sales service is lamentable.
The hob is grease free and has been kept very clean, I'd appreciate an idea of what it would cost to repair and if it is economically worth it. Atag spares are very expensive. I'm advised by the people who fitted the kitchen ( we were advised who they were when we bought the house ) that they no longer deal with them, so no joy there either.Thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Ive never serviced an Atag hob but the majority of induction hobs user generic parts anyway.

Reading the manual for your hob it confirms the reason for the light above the <pause> button blinking, is due to water or dirt on the hob surface.

Since the surface is clean, I am confident it must be a HID fault, which picks up the touch of your finger. It could simply be the underside of the glass being dirty if something boiler over, however in my experience its the sensor which reads you finger\gesture which is at fault.

This would set you back around £100, however I cant find anywhere which is selling ATAG parts, so would imagine you will struggle to find an engineer or service centre in the UK. My suggestion would be to call up ATAG see if they will do a fix price repair, if they dont I would look to replace it, as its most likely going to cause you more issues as it gets older if the parts are already obsolete.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for explaining the problem so thoroughly. You are correct about the servicing of Atag in the UK and I think, like you, that it is probably not economically viable to try and repair it. However replacement hobs of similar style are also very expensive. Shall wait and see if Atag themselves have anything to say, but am not confident.
Thanks again