Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My electric hob will turn on seconds and turn itself off

My electric hob will turn on for 6 seconds and turn itself off (only two burners will come on , one set to 1 and the other at 6
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Can you post the make and model number please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AEG Electrolux
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

I dont suppose you have a model number do you?

If not then is it an induction hob?

if so is one side working ok still is it just one half you are having problems with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the model number. I bought an x-display model and was not given a manual.
Two of the burners don't come on while the other two will indicate one is on number 8 and the other on number 1. But will turn itself off after 8 seconds
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Is it an induction hob?

Have you just installed it or have you had it a while?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had it for 5 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by an induction hob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Is it an induction hob or a normal ceramic hob were the heater plats glow red?

As induction hobs you need stainless steel pans and it works as magnetic coils. To be honest dont think it is as you would have known if it was induction as the heater plates dont glow red.

But as to the fault if its switching itself off then its either the mains connection block under the hob were the power cable goes to or the main control board.

If checking this yourself you need to remove the hob from the worktop and turn it over.

There you will see the connection box were the power cable goes to. Open this up and check for signs of burning on there. If so then you need to replace that.

But if thats fine then its more then likely the main control board as thes hobs are electronic controled so for the fault you have the power board will need to be replaced.

But this is a very expensive repair and given its 5 years old its may be cheaper to get a new hob rather then fixing this as boards can be £200+

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heater plates do glow red. I don't feel able to check this myself. I could ask the electrician who connected it to take a look at it following your instructions. At my tender age of over 60 I would not feel comfortable in attempting to look at it. What do you think.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok if it glows red then its just a standered ceramic hob rather the induction.

If you get some one to check the wiring to the hob and the connection box an then you can rule that out.

Then it would be a case of either replace the control board or get a new hob. Thats up to yourself on this.

But if you need anymore info or help on this just get back to me. You can still reply to me even after rating the answer so if you could remember to click the star ratings that would be great.