George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a flavel dishwasher FDW62. It is approx. 3 months

Customer Question

I have a flavel dishwasher FDW62. It is approx. 3 months old. I am at a loss to know why it wont clean properly, particularly the top shelf , but sometimes both shelves . I have the salt topped up, the rinse aid and have made sure the filter is clean and free from food and grease and both spinners are free from debris and able to spin but still the contents come out gritty . I have tried it stacked full and half empty just to see if that makes a difference, but it doesn't.
I have scraped plates and not scraped but that doesn't seem to make a difference either,
Unfortunately I am spending more time rewashing everything than I am saving time having a dishwasher .
please can you advise?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if the appliance is heating the water during the wash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes the water is hot

Ok thanks...

When you say that the dishes come out gritty; can you describe the grit.. size, colour, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks and feels like fine sand , generally yellowish brown

If you had said that the deposits were white I would understand that to be lime in the water, however, what you have described is alien to what I can be considered to be a possible residue left by a dishwasher so young and therefore must consider if there is contaminant coming from the installation.

Is the appliance drain fixed under the sink by any chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes it is , it's connected to a u bend spigot .
We also have a water softener which I doubt has any bearing to the problem but thought I should mention it all the same .

Where it is connected to the spigot, does it come up to the spigot or does it drop to the spigot from above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hose comes in from the bottom of the unit and goes up to the spigot .

Just in case that is the cause, can you higher the hose so that it drops to the spigot?

Once that is done, do a test run.

.

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you. You can still respond to me once rating has taken place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we'll try it - thank you .

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.