George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Electrical - if I am replacing a kitchen extractor fan, does

Electrical - if I am replacing a kitchen extractor fan, does this need to be done by a qualified electrician? I am letting the property to tenants.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

You can change the appliance yourself if it is a replacement and not a new installation, however, there are rules relating to lettings of properties that require you to have safety checks of both the Gas and the Electrical circuits and appliances in the property to be let.

.
Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So to double check, I do not need to use a contractor with Part P certification? It would be replacing a standard extractor hood similar to this:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/hoods/essentials-c60shdx15-visor-cooker-hood-stainless-steel-10119314-pdt.html

Can I just use a handy man to do the job?

So long as the installation is a replacement like for like appliance and not an new installation then yes, you can use a handyman and you don't need a Part P. This is given that the rest of the landlords regulations are followed with regard to the tests prior to rental.