carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

I have an old canon 147 with fold away grill. It needs a

Customer Question

I have an old canon 147 with fold away grill. It needs a major overhaul, as the tops of the gas burners are rusting through, and the electric click and timer no longer work. It was tap of the range model back in the 1970s, and I love the foldaway grill. Can you put me in touch with anyone who could repair this cooker, as I there is nothing that can touch it available today.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Please could you let me know where about in the UK you are and I will see if I can find an engineer to restore the cooker for you.

I will be honest but I feel that it may not be possible to restore the cooker because the parts may not be available any more. I will do some research to see if parts are available for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My postcode is L37 8DY Formby, Merseyside. Actually it is the foldaway grill that I would miss most, as this works fine. If the cooker parts are not available, any chance of resurrecting the grill? I expect it would be impossible to detach that from the cooker and mount that on the wall with a new gas supply? I can only find an electric fold-a-way grill. If only canon made an up-to-date replacement!
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I have searched and failed to find an engineer in your area that would be willing to refurbish your cooker, it is due to lack of parts they all said. I have also looked and spoke to cannon about a similar more up to date model but they were unable to help me. All I can find is electric foldaway grills and not gas ones I am afraid. Maybe it is to do with gas safe regulations now and that is why they are no longer available.

The hi grill electric folding grill looks to have good reviews it is unlikely to need a big electric supply like a normal cooker.

I am sorry I cannot help more.

Carl