carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

I have a Siemens LC98BE542B cooker hood, 90 cm, with a

I have a Siemens LC98BE542B cooker hood, 90 cm, with a recirculating kit. I did not install it, nor the recirculating kit.
It has been working fine, until a while ago when the SQUARE filter icon started to appear, with a few beeps, after turning it off. I thought perhaps its time to change the carbon filter, but was slow to getting around to it. Then one day it wouldn't turn on, it simply beeped with the filter icon again, and did not work, and it would, even if turned off, beep on a regular basis throughout the day. I had to turn it off at the mains. I then replaced the carbon filter, made sure the grease filters were clean, then turned it on again at the mains. It would simply beep as normal. I then asked customer support, who thought i needed to reset it by pressing the minus button whilst the grease filter icon was flashing, yet that did nothing. As i turn it on now, it simply shows the number 2, but does not start. I then read the manual thoroughly and wondered if the installer had failed to put it into recirculating mode on the display. I pressed the relevant buttons until the big C and the carbon filter icon appeard, yet that did nothing to fix anything. It has power, the lights work, all filters are clean and installed properly, the icons appear int he display - yet it does not work, and i cannot find any other helpful info in the manual, online, or from siemens customer support. Are there any re-set combinations i can try before i call someone out to have a look at it? thank you so much.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 6 months ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Adam, yes please, ill wait.thanks
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. I am sorry but it sounds like the control board has failed in the unit. I have seen them fail before but I does seem strange that it was working until the filter icon turned on again.

What happens when you try and set it for automatic setting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Carl, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to set it for 'automatic setting', can you please advise?ThanksAase
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Hi Aase,

The hood should have an auto button and if you press that it will work in auto mode. The fan should come on at a low speed but should speed up depending on what you are cooking.

In automatic mode, a sensor in the extractor hood detects the
intensity of the cooking and roasting fumes. Depending on the
setting of the sensor, the fan automatically switches to another
fan setting.

Default sensitivity setting: 5
Lowest sensitivity setting: 0
Highest sensitivity setting: 9

If the sensor control responds too quickly or too slowly, it can
be changed accordingly:

1. When the fan is switched off, press the auto button and hold it
for approx. 4 seconds. The setting is displayed.

2. The setting of the sensor control is changed by pressing the
+ or – button.

3. To confirm the entries, press and hold the auto button for
approx. 4 seconds.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Carl, we have the model that has, from left to right, the following buttons: on/off, minus, display, plus, and light. Those are all the buttons - we don't have an auto button.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** if you turn it on and try and adjust the speed? can you heard a click when you turn it on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing happens if I try to adjust the speed. There is no click when I turn it on. There is also no beep but I turned the sound off. If I turn it on and off at the mains no change. It turns on, a '2'comes on the display, but nothing else. Do you know if there is a 'reset' or 'reset to manufacture settings' I can do by pressing some combinations of buttons?
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Try turning it off at the mains and then pressing the on/off button while turning it back on at the mains

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll try that. I'll let you know later today what happens. To clarify, if I turn it off at the mains, then hold the on/off button down whilst turning g it on again?
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

yes that's right. turn off at the mains press on/off button then turn it back on at the mains. then release the on/off button

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi again. The above did not have any effect. However I notice that the display has some level of function even if it is turned off at the mains, which is odd. If I try to turn on power while it is off at the mains, it will light up blue above the power, with the number two on the display. Then, after about 5-10 seconds it turns itself off. When I then turn it on again at the mains, without pressing any buttons, the following numbers flash, in sequence, on the display, before it goes blank: 1, 3, 5, 0. Not sure if that helps you figure it out at all...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've now noticed, that when it is on at the mains, but not turned on, it makes little 'clicking noices' every now and then, as if its trying to turn on or something, but nothing else happens.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

It will have a little bit of electricity stored and that is why the display still lights when off at the mains. I dont know why it is clicking when you have not turned it on. I am thinking more that the control board has failed or the fan itself. I am afraid to say it but I think you will have to call an engineer out to have a look at it. If you wanted to have a go at fixing yourself i can assist you as much as I can using this chat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hm. I'm not sure, I think just in case I mess anything up I'll call an engineer...it was worth a shot trying to fix it here. Thanks for trying
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

HI,

Would you like me to suggest an engineer local to you that may be to look at your hood. If you do could you let me know where about in uk your are?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah that would be great. I'm in london, se1 4yj
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

These engineers are listed on a trade forum I use. I don't know which is the closest.

Astrid Technologies LTD.

2 Ravensbourne Gardens
London
Phone: 079 6183 8300
Email: *****@******.***

Repair Aid Plus Ltd

3,*****br />London
Phone: 02071836944
Email: *****@******.***

Norton Engineers

*****br />Croydon
Phone: 07952109224
Mobile: 07506433182
Email:*****@******.***

A&G Appliance Service

*****br />London
Phone: 020 7476 8725
Mobile: 07540852102
Email: *****@******.***

I hope this helps

Carl
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Did you manage to get an engineer to fix you cooker hood?

If you are happy with my advice. could you rate me so that I can close the question on my screen.

Thanks,

Carl

carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.