George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Bosch dishwasher, Serial No. SRS4302GB / 10. FD No.

I have a Bosch dishwasher, Serial No. SRS4302GB / 10. FD No. 8108.This machine, when working correctly, was disconnected and moved about 2 meters to allow access behind it. It was later replaced, and reconnected. The machine was upright at all times.
The salt container was replenished.
When the machine was switched on, the only noise was the drain pump running. I checked this by pouring in a bucket of water, which was immediately drained.
I tried resetting the machine by following the instructions in the handbook, without result.
I have tried laying the machine on its left side, which drained the tray, not much water.
I have checked the water flow to the machine, and the filter. Both OK, I have a water softener, so chalk should not be a problem.
I have removed the left side of the machine. There is no sign of water entering the machine from the inlet hose.
Probably something simple, as I was careful when moving the machine.
I could do with a little help.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 10 months ago.

This is caused by water ingress into the base of the appliance... Either a leak or an overflow has occurred and this has triggered the Anti-Flood System.
Turn off the appliance and unplug it from the power socket.
Tilt the appliance backward at an angle of approx 60degs to expel any waters from the base.
If the problem happens again thereafter then you'll need to remove the right-hand side panel to investigate for leaks.
If there is no water to be found in the base, check the switch at the top of the Anti-Flood System's float.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Morning George,
I'll give that a go.
At a visit previously by a a Bosch engineer I was told to lay the machine on it's left side to drain the tray. Is this a different tray?
What does this Anti-flood Float look like. Is it obvious?
Cheers,
Steve.

Hello Steve,

If you lay the appliance onto its left side then you will inadvertently drain the content of the tub out onto the floor and into the base at the same time.

Tilt the appliance backwards... This allows expulsion of water from the base and prevents the water inside the tub from ingressing the base whilst doing so.

The anti-flood float is a polystyrene float.. normally round but can be oblong and it is usually caged by plastic.. it has a rod at the head of it that raises to a switch that operates to disconnect functions whilst enabling the drain pump.

I have attached a crude image and have highlighted the components in yellow for your assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello George,
Yes it is a crude image. I don't recognise it in my machine, ( from what I have seen so far). I have tipped it backwards as you suggested, but no water escaped. I have added a couple of pics so you can see what I see behind the right panel. there is a micro switch there but no idea what it is for. Using the pics, can you point out where I find the float assembly & switch. You make this job sound like it needs someone with very thin arms.
I have just had another look at your pic. If the part you are talking about is item 16, how do I approach getting to it, from the front, back, bottom?
Looks like it could keep me out of mischief for the weekend.Cheers,Steve.

Sorry, the picture that it has posted is the wrong one... so no wonder you can't see it in your machine...

I will post it again and hope this time it posts the correct picture

Your first picture....

Wash Pump looks like it has damage from leaking water.. (Highlighted in yellow)

Your image number 2 makes the situation look even worse.. there is certainly water damage there.. possibly the wash pump seal.

You can not see the float from there... The float is on the opposite side.. Normally you need to drop the base to do it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I recognised that george, but my problem is getting water into the machine, if it leaks I can look for that later. There are no signs of water around where the machine stands so I don't think this is a great problem. As this machine has not been used since 31.12.2015 when my washing machine packed up, (the reason for moving the dishwasher), the only water to enter the machine is when I threw buckets of water into the washer to stop the pump drying out when I ran it to allow the program to complete its cycle, which it didn't.
Now, if the float & switch are the problem, how do I get to them please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In the pic you sent is 21 5755 pointing at the front or rear of the machine?

That is the front of the appliance - Give me a moment; I am just looking at your previous statement

Ok... Let me re-run questions past you.

1. The pump starts when you switch o the appliance... but does the pump continue to run until the appliance power is disconnected?

2. Does the pump continue running even if you open the door of the appliance?

3. Was the appliance working before you moved it.. - Had it been tested?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. It runs until I switch it off with the door switch.
2.The pump stops and the machine switches off.

Was the appliance tested and working immediately prior to you moving it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The previous engineer who came was sent by bosch because my machine was one of those considered to be a fire hazzard. apart from which, it has never been a problem. It is lightly used, but never a problem.

The reason for that question was the following statement you have just made "As this machine has not been used since 31.12.2015"

Which is true?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the 31st Dec. my washing machine, (cloths), packed up.
It makes life easier to move the dishwasher to get the washing machine out from under the work surface.
I have a large kitchen, I live alone. I shifted the dishwasher and did not put it back until the washing machine was fixed, which involved contacting one of you guys, from whom I got a wiring diagram, then sending the PCB for repair. It was probably late February when I put everything back where it belongs. It was probably 2 to 4 weeks after that I found out the dishwasher didn’t work. It wasn’t until earlier this week that I wanted to clean something fiddly that I decided to do something about it. Mainly I use it as somewhere to stack the dishes to allow them to drain.

Thanks... That makes life easier...

The problem circumstances and description changing changes the diagnosis.... (Always better to give clear concise description)

The issue is NOT water in the base of the appliance but is a failure of the pressure switch to detect an 'Empty' condition.

Remove the left panel of the appliance and check the switches on , and the condition of, the devices highlighted in the image devices

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK.
I might be a while. I have some other things to do while the sun is shining.

Sun... It is miserable here... Rained for hours and quite heavy

I will be out of the office shortly, but will look-out for your replies on my return...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I assume you live in the west somewhere then. I’m in Watford.I turned the water supply on.
Turned the machine so I could see the water inlet & valves. Being a novice I was trying to work out what should be where, couldn’t see very well, (I have a bad knee), so tilted the machine to the right. Decided to take a pic instead. Got my tablet ready, and decided to push the go button, and go it did. Water began flowing through the higgledy pigglty plastic tubing. It has done 3 times, seemingly without draining any.
I can’t hear any other noise like the sloshing of the internal sprays, but then the only occupant of the washer is the upper basket, so it may not make much noise.
There is a soap tablet in the holder, but whether or not is has dropped I don’t know. I don’t want to stop it part way through its cycle.
At present, it is making a buzzing noise, seemingly from the right rear of the machine.
I have recorded the buzz but it’s not a good recording. If a better recording would help, let me know.
I will leave the machine as is until you get back to me. Unless you’re a long time.I know about getting info from customers; I used to work in the motor repair trade. Some would lie to me so not to look silly. They looked even more silly when I told them I knew they had lied to me, and that lie had cost me time, so them money.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I’ve turned it off. The noise sounded like a dry running pump. The soap draw had opened, but the inside of the washer is dry.

Ok.. so what I have gathered from what you have said above is that it has started working after you tilted it to the right....

The appliance needs to be flat.. but if it has started to fill due to being tilted to the right then it is possible that water in the base was the problem and since the water has moved away from the float then the appliance starts to work..

I am only summising as I can only go off what you have told me

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just dipped the base tray , (the tray literally on the floor), and there is a watermark 16mm up my piece of wood. I’m surprised about this, I thought earlier that the tray was dry. How much depth would be needed to stop the machine working correctly? Would it be advantageous to syphen this water off , or tilt. I think the machine is still full of water.
Would this tray water be the cause of the working area being dry?
Tilting the machine to the right might well have moved a float tallowing the inlet valve to open. Not knowing the exact design of it, I can’t really say.
  • 5mm or in some cases less, in the area of the float, would cause the float to raise and the anti-flood system to activate.
  • Normally I tilt the appliance to its rear to expel any fluids.
  • Yes, this water would raise the float causing the switch at the top of the float to activate the anti-flood system, therein turning on the drain pump and disabling all other system processes.
  • Tilting the appliance to the right will have removed the water from the float allowing it to drop away from the switch to de-activate the anti-flood system.

I would appreciate a reciprocation of the assistance I have given you; you can do this by taking the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can’t rate you yet George. Not enough has been achieved. Even getting water past the inlet valve was caused inadvertently by me, and that is the only difference with the machine since I contacted Just Answer. A wiring diagram might be helpful, and I think the buzzing could be caused by a dried out, semi-seized washer pump. Hence, the dry tub. I am presently syphoning out the tray, and providing my knee feels ok, I’ll see about removing the pump tomorrow. Right now, it is time for a beer.

Tilt the appliance right back to discard any water, then try the appliance again as I asked you to do near the beginning of this quest... If there is water in the base then the appliance will not wor but will purely attempt to pump out the water that it has detected.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello George,The machine is now stripped out, and I am now far more conversant with its inner goings on, and now realise why I could not spot that float. I was looking for something far more technical than a piece of polystyrene ceiling tile.The corrosion that you remarked about on the washer pump was salt, laying in the bottom tray, under the motor, on the motor, in the motor, causing it to seize solid. This was the buzzing I could hear yesterday. I’ve ordered another motor. But, how did the salt get there. I have a proper water softener, so I don’t normally use the salt container in the machine, but just to make sure the machines softener resin was clean I filled the salt container when I put the machine back in place in February. When I removed the salt container today, it was empty of salt.
I need now to have a good look to try to spot the leak. Hopefully it is the seized recirculating pump, which would give cause to the amount of salt in, and around it, but any suggestions from you will be gratefully relieved.Regards,Steve.

Morning Steve,

If you have the appliance in an upright and stacked condition, you could easily fill the appliance by hand with water to find the leak... If no leak occurs then it is probably the seal on the wash motor, but only doing so when the motor is pressurising.

Think of the appliance system similar to a car; pump motors & seal; salt container (water softener) & seal; hoses; water tank seals; valve seals.

Especially look at the water softener area as there is a heavy salt content.

George

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I’ve had a good look around but found little sign of leakage. There is sign of slight leakage at the tub drain to pump seal, but I suspect that a certain small amount of leakage is acceptable on these machines, (why otherwise would they have such a watertight bottom tray, and a float switch), the leakage normally being taken care of by natural evaporation. Just wait for the pump now and look for trouble when the water is turned on.

Ok.. I'll look forward to your progress report.

regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello George, bet you thought I was dead,The pump eventually arrived,- over a week late.The machine is all back together apart from the covers.
I nave run 2 complete cycles to make sure all is as it should be, and there is plenty of noise as the water sloshes around inside, while there is no sign of water in the base tray, so one of us is a happy bunny.I just have one problem. When I stripped the door two plastic blocks fell on the floor, and I can’t see anywhere specific for them to be put back. Help please.ATB,Steve.

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided (5 stars is best) at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

.

Also, if you can, photograph the blocks that you are describing so I can see if I can recognise them for you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
George, I am quite happy to rate you, but not to pay you.
I did rate and pay before when using this site and lo & behold, suddenly I was disconnected from the expert. I don’t know who cut it off, but that was irrelevant. I hadn’t had the service I had been promised.I do hope that 20 quid will not make much if any difference to your way of life; if it does, I can only say that I have been in that position; and it ain’t funny.
If you are worried whether I can pay you, you have no worries, although I am a pensioner I am far from the eat or heat situation.I would have happily paid when you first mentioned rating/money, but was not prepared to give up my access to advice.Anyway, I’ve sent the pic, and when I know where the blocks go I will rate you. OK.How’s the weather. Muggy here. Might have to spend the afternoon in the club, it’s airconed.

Given what you have said, I quite understand your stance on rating/paying.. However Steve, The original problem was solved and that is why I asked. Nevertheless, I was and still am willing to assist, and would have even if you had rated as I asked. I do not get the £20 you describe.

Aside from all that, thank you for the image. The blocks in the image sit around the hinge; in-between the hinge and the front panel.

The weather is not too bad here.. we are sitting at around 20 degs and I have the doors open you take advantage of the slight breeze.

Here is an image that should give you an idea of where it goes in relation to the hinge. The part you imaged is highlighted in yellow

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All done.
Thank you for your help George, and i hope that Just Answers doesn't take to much of your dosh.
Getting warm here now. I think I will buy a rubber dingy and fill it with water.
bye, and thanks again,
Steve.