JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

WD64 washer/dryer - After a wash cycle machine is switched

WD64 washer/dryer - After a wash cycle machine is switched OFF. Within about 4 hours there is sufficient water back in the drum to soak the floor if door is opened. Isn't the washer supposed to be inoperative when switched off ? How is the water getting into the machine ?
I can of course switch-off the water supply cock to prevent this problem but that isn't the real answer to this fault.
advice would be appreciated - PeterH
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Peter this sounds like the valve or actuator has failed in the washing machine, and not relating to the waste water (outlet) pipe.

If by switching off the stop cock the washing machine doesnt fill up this most certainly proves the fault is with the valve.

The good news is a replacement valve is around £15 from here.

My suggestion is turn off the stop cock if the machine doesnt fill up, arrange for an engineer to come out and replace the valve, this should be a relatively low cost fix, however if the machine fills up with the stop cock off, then this would suggest a drainage (outlet issue), and you need to check if there is a problem with how the water is flowing away on the drain.

Please let me know if you require any further advice or me to clarify anything raised here.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James Inch - Your answer was helpful in part. However the real problem with the machine performance was much more basic. It became clear eventually that the water pressure was too high. Reduced the pressure and the problem disappeared.
Hopeful that this information will be helpful to You.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know, I would be surprised if you mains water supply was above that of the tolerance for the washing machine, however appreciate letting me know.

If your confident the pressure is above the washer spec, I wouldnt worry, however if it isnt and simply reducing the pressured fixed the issue, would suggest a o-ring failure in the valve, which will only get worse.