carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

I have a Creda tumble dryer, model 37489 which I bought in

Good morning. I have a Creda tumble dryer, model 37489 which I bought in 1995 (yes 1995 !) and it worked perfectly until yesterday. The problem is that the drum isn't rotating so it isn't "tumbling". I was wondering if is financially worthwhile getting an engineer out to look at it for me (and risking a call out fee etc even if it isn't repairable) or whether to bite the bullet and just buy a new one. Many thanks.
Graham, Aldershot Hants.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with you question. My first thought is that it probably is repairable if the parts are available. It could be one of a few things that are causeing it not to turn.

It could be the belt has snapped if this is the case I would expect it to be cost effective to repair. It could be the capacitor that starts and runs the motor again if it is this it to be cost effective to repair. It could be the motor brushes again if it is that it would be cost effective to repair.

It could be the motor if it is the motor it may not be worth repairing.

If you wanted I could talk you through checking a few bits yourself you would need to take the top off the drier and it should only be a couple of screws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Carl. Although I'm not too keen on opening it up myself, it sounds from what you say that there's a reasonably good chance it may be worth repairing. I've got the phone numbers of a couple of local repair firms, so I'll give them a call tomorrow morning. Many thanks for your help. Kind regards, Graham
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

HI Graham,

I have just checked with a supplier I use and they are showing a large range of spares still available including a motor at £70 + vat and the motor is the worst case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Carl. If it is the motor, it may not be worth repairing as the part + labour won't be far off the cost of a brand new one, esp. bearing in mind that mine is now 21 years old ! But if its any of the other things you mentioned its probably worth doing.
Many thanks for your help - you've certainly given me some very useful pointers Kind regards, Graham