Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Bosch classix maxx fridge freezer, freezer wont get cold

Customer Question

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** Can you give me the full ENr for your fridge freezer please. Its on the rating label inside the fridge usually.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, sorry there are no ratings labels etc only number is ***** a sticker on side of appliance. KGU306AVGB? Checked behind it and inside
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pics attached

That will - do there should be and oblique stroke after the GB followed by two numbers either 01 02 or 04 eg GB/02 could you let me have that too

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent pics of the label, looks as if there is a slash after the GB but only says GB again?

OK do you have any cooling at all in the freezer and secondly is the compressor (motor) running at the back of the appliance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The freezer gets warm, warmer than the room it's in, the fridge seems to be working but haven't had it on long enough to be able to tell if fridge working effectively. You can hear a stat clicking in and out and the fan in freezer occasional spins for short time and at apparently random intervals the lights at top switch off and come back of their own accord (few seconds if that). As far as I can tell the compressor is running, how would I confirm this.I'm not going to be able to do a huge amount of investigation tonight I am heading out shortly but I have time during day tomorrow to have thorough look.FYI, I am a qualified gas safe plumbing, heating & gas engineer so fairly practical etc

OK when you say you can hear a stat clicking is that from the back of the unit? If you put your hand on the motor can you feel a vibration and is it hot or cold?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can hear the clicking from rear of unit maybe more like micro switch than a stat?The compressor run for few seconds now it seems to be running a cycle.Click, fan, louder fan, compressor attempt to run or runs for very short time, when it doesn't run sounds like a seized pump that has power but won't spin, then you get another couple of clicks and it starts over again.Cold to touch at moment but only just turned on

OK from what you have said the compressor is seized and will require replaceing, the clicking that you hear is the thermal safety cutout triping out and in - probably not worth getting anyone out as the repair depending upon where you are will cost you £150. Would you know kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions are free of charge. Thanks for using JA and enjoy your day.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is best place to purchase part, find part number, are there any additional items needed when ordering seals etc and how do I go about replacing it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Or do you mean it is beyond economical repair?

You will need a brazing kit, silver solder and flux, refrigerant, a vacuum pump, set of refrigeration gauges and charging scales and an access fitting from a tool point of view, the compressor is approximately £192 -- http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1073947 -- so yes likely BER

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You just said the repair would be around 150 location dependant is this top end of cost or lower end. Thanks for your help

Lower, down the south it will cost you more, in the midlands less, depends on what make of compressor you fit, new or second hand. Or Chinese, Italian or Danish compressors. Many variables

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a cause to this or is it just old age /coincidence, we have just moved the fridge from one property to another it was sat for few weeks turned off. Until got it here world perfectly

Can be that the piston in the cylinder jammed in the move or alternatively it had lost its refrigerant charge over time or finally just worn out.