Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My SMEG american style fridge freezers temperature control

Customer Question

My SMEG american style fridge freezers temperature control and ice maker display is flashing and clicking.
All the LED dispalys flash and an audible clicking noise is heard, the flashing is random and there are no audible temp alrams sounding. The situation is improved but not resolved when the ise maker is turned off. The light that should come on when dispensing water flashes does come on but it too flashes.
The appliance is 12 years old and I'm sorry I can't give a model number as Smeg in their wisdom, make no reference to it in the model number either in thier instruction manual or thier Guarantee card.
Any idea what could be wrong?
Ron Bonner.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

May I have the Full model # of your Smeg fridge?

Tech Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hey Ron, look on the walls inside the fridge let me knwo if you can find it?

You will need that to fix this one I need it so I can help correctly as well.;-)

Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, the mod number is *****
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ron!

One last question, is there any heavy frost on the inside rear wall of the freezer section?

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, No. All appears fine. In gaining the mod number for you l set the fridge to standby whilst I removed the draws. After replacing them I reset the fridge without the ice maker switched on and the clicking and lcd displays stopped flashing. However as soon as the ice maker was switched back on again, the problem resurfaced.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ron,

Ok, it sounds like you have a shorted out ice maker.

This Could be the main board in the back behind the fridge, but usually its just a filed ice maker.

Its common with this model.

Its super easy to replace just a few hex screws and a single plug to pop off and replace with the new unit ready to go ;-)

The best place to get that replacement ice maker is: http://www.espares.co.uk/

But...I would call them to order this ice maker so you are sure you get the correct one.

Also if you call, They will ship it out to you the same day ;-)

Please call espares: 0844 9777 888.

Also they dont list all parts they carry on their website.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great Sunday Ron!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers Mike,Will do as advised. One final question which I need to clarify something with you. The failure of the IM would cause the temp indicators to flash too?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi it could as its all inter connected.

If the ice maker doesn't fix this but I suspect it will since I have done so many of these lol, let me know.

It does that as an error message to let you know there is a problem is all;-)

Please rate kindly So I can stick with you.

Tech Michadl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your advice Mike.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Michael,Good news is my new ice maker was delivered and I fiitted easily.Bad news is that the problem still exists so clearly not the ice maker module.Ron
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ron,

Im sorry to hear that.

In this case it will be the main control board that has failed;-(

Its rare that these boards fail in this way. But that board apparently isn't working the ice maker the way it should.

Almost always when the problem present like it did , it would be the ice maker itself as the fault. But this one now is showing that the board that controls it is to blame. SO you will need the main control bard that is at the back of the fridge under the metal plate behind the fridge.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael,Is there only one PCB for the whole appliance or do SMEG have multiple boards for various tasks? By the way Espares could not supply the Ice maker. Servast could within days.Ron
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ron, only one main board;-)

I would try Espares first, if they dont have the board which they should please let me know, and I will locate e a different source for you.

Thanks Ron.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael,Espares were not very good with the ice maker so had to search elsewhere. They had a 3 month minimum wait for the part and quoted me £150 for a water filter Serve-last Ltd were able to supply the ice maker in 5 days and were cheaper than Espares. They also have the control board. If I have problems I'll give you a call.Ron
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

If you need to talk, I sent an offer as per JA s rules ;-)

Thanks Ron

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,Disapointingly after fitting a new Ice maker and a new control board at considerable expense, the problem still exists with the front temperature control and ice maker controls continueing to click and flash and the ice maker not producing any ice.Ron