carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

The Grill is nged at the back and fixed at the front to the

The Grill is hinged at the back and fixed at the front to the Oven roof by a screw. However, the Grill keeps on dropping down and will not stay in place. As I was told that that the thread on the holding screw may be worn, I obtained the recommended replacement screw from the Zanussi Website. However, this did not work and the Grill still keeps on dropping down.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Was the thread damaged on the screw you replaced? Is the grill just screwed into the top of the oven metalwork? Normally they are held on by a self tapping screw, I would suggest getting a slightly larger self tapping screw and screwing that into the grill. I suspect that the hole that the grill screws into is the problem and a slightly bigger screw will tap the metal and get a much better fix.

I hope this makes sense

Carl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. As far as I am aware the thread on the original screw was not damaged. The Grill is just screwed into the top of the oven metalwork. I will obtain a larger self tapping screw as you advise and see if that works.RegardsRob Deffee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy with your advice, but am having a problem obtaining a bigger screw. Is there anywhere you can recommend. Also, a description of the size, if possible, may help.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

Are you able to photograph the original screw and send it to me also could you measure it for me.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am attaching a picture of the screw. The unthreaded part of the screw is 25mm long, the threaded part is 10mm. The head of the screw is 10mm in diameter.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 12 months ago.

Hi Rob,

I will have a look for a screw and let you know when I have found one. I am off to Manchester tomorrow for the day so it may be Sunday before I get chance to look.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks. No problem.