Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Zunussi - Jetsystem Model - ZWD14581W - Machine failed

Zunussi - Jetsystem Model - ZWD14581W -
Machine failed midcycle - did not pump out or spin. No symptoms prior. No error codes. Seems to be dead although I've checked that power is getting through to machine mains connector. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

So when you turn the dial onto any cycle does any lights come on at all?

If you turn the dial on and leave it after a while has the display come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - no lights at all. I've turned the dial and left it, but again, no lights. it seems the power is not reaching the controls.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok for this fault its either the main control board or the smaller dryer circuit bord in there that causes this fault. To be honest with you 8 time sout of 10 its the main board that causes this.

But what you can try is pull the washer out and remove the top.

Look behind the main control panel and you will see a small square circuit board. This is the dryer board. Then behind that is the main power board.

Look at the small dryer board and on there you will see a few red wiring blocks. Locate the wiring block that goes to the main board and disconnect the wiring block.

Then plug it back in and see if it all lights up. If it does then the dryer board is the fault and needs to be replaced.

But if after doing that its still the same then the main board will be the fault if the power supply is good. As the power supply comes into the washer and goes stright to the main board. If this is the case then the main board needs to be replaced to cure this.

So try the above and see what you find. As for this fault its either the smaller dryer board or the main control board at fault. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so this narrows the search - thanks. no lights came up, but do I need to reset? If so, how - is there a reset switch?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you have disconnected the smaller dryer board and its still not comming on then it will be the main control board im afraid.

As to a reset switch, sorry washers dont have a reset switch im afraid. If its not comming on its because theres a fault in there which this is going to be the main control board itself. To fix this the board will have to be replaced.

Ive replaced many boards for this fault so its not an uncommon fault. Just an expensive fault im afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm OK, so what sort of cost?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

The part itself is £168 just for the board. Not a cheap repair im afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - sad, since this pcb is not worth this much. Curious how zanussi, et al put themselves out of business. If you know which component/s on the pcb are the usual suspects, I'd be interested.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Its usually the switching unit on the back of the board that fails rather then a component itself.

Its not something we do as we just replace parts rather then fixing the fault part but from what ive heard on these its the blue switching unit that fails as its all switches in there and possibley its stuck somewere in there.