Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Brand new crx65 on my boat The compressor runs almost

Brand new crx65 on my boat
The compressor runs almost contiually and at no stage has it managed to make ice even at level 4
Full ventilation to rear and bottom but putting my hand through a large hole on the side nextto anopen cupboard (more ventilatio)., the top of the fridge and the metal components on the rear are too hot to touch.
In the middle of a cruise and now frozenfood allthawed!
Any ideas many thanks
Howard
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** in the UK and a qualified refrigeration engineer.

If the compressor is running but you have no cooling then it will be one of two things -

a. There is no refrigerant in the system ie it has leaked out.

b. The compressor is faulty.

Since this is a new appliance I would get it replaced or repaired by the manufacturer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
Thank you for the advice, my curiosity is the amount of heat being generated on the top of the machine at the back, we have some cooling but only slight and no freezing at all. What would be the refigerant, can it leak slowly? Is it harmful?
Howard

When in operation the cycling refrigerant is not only used to cool down your food but also to keep the compressor cold. If it loses its refrigerant then it can't cool the compressor. I would suggest that the heat you feel is from the compressor generating heat through lack of cooling.

I'm not sure what refrigerant is in use as its not listed in the manual but it will be either R134a or R600a. This should be listed on the rating label.