Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My Hotpoint Combination 8562 is not working, I've changed

Customer Question

My Hotpoint Combination 8562 is not working, I've changed the fuse. Food is still frozen, but fridge is not cool as normal ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
fan running, food still frozen but no frost on back wall inside. I'd like to know why fridge isn't working?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

There is likely an obstruction in the air path that is stopping the air flow to the refrigerator.

May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All information I have is Hotpoint Combination 5862. Could it be the thermostat has gone ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Not if the freezer is cooling well. I would unplug it for 24 hours with the doors open and I suspect it will thaw and start cooling well again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Isn't that a bit risky, the froze food will be wasted especially in this weather? How can an obstruction get caught in air flow?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The food will need to be moved to another cooler or appliance. Frost accumulates in the air path and will cause the flow to be inhibited. That is very common.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** I take your advice - turn off fridge / freezer for 24 hours and open doors that will resolve my issue?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

If the freezer is cooling fine and the fan is working, I believe so, yes.

Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Technician with over 30 years of experience.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, thank you!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Kelly I just double checked - there is frost on the inside back wall. The complete model number is ***** does that help?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Okay, so it needs to be thawed, it has frost behind that panel that is blocking the air.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, no other alternative?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Only if you want to totally disassemble the freezer, remove the rear wall and use a hair dryer to thaw it out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK.....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I recently thawed the fridge in June? Could the freezer need thawing out so soon?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Was it totally thawed? If so, you likely have a faulty component in the defrost circuit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was totally thawed
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

So there is a component in the defrost circuit that is faulty, the heater, sensor or main control. Do you have any electrical test equipment?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
H Kelly just so I'm totally clear. My fridge is not working, it is not maintaining it's optimal temperature and you say this is because of an obstruction and to resolve it I need to thaw my food in the freezer which will clear obstruction and fridge will work properly again?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No electrical test equipment
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The frost in the freezer is not allowing air from the freezer to be taken to the refrigerator section. If you thaw the frost, air will then be allowed into the refrigerator. However, if it keeps freezing up, you have a broken part that will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

You bet, thank you!