KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Whirlpool AWZ8477 tumble dryer has been cleaned inside and

Customer Question

Whirlpool AWZ8477 tumble dryer has been cleaned inside and out and is mechanically sound. At switch-on, the red Clean Heat Exchanger LED is ON and the green Start indicator is flashing. Pressing the Start button extinguishes the red LED and the cycle commences normally. Dryer runs for 10-15 minutes normally but then heating switches off, although tumbling continues. Heating does not come back on, so clothes do not dry.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just answer .... the problem is with the element that will need replacement... please check the thermostat as well before replacing the element
________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Kevin, thanks for the very prompt reply. I will check the heating element for intermittent operation and repair or replace as you suggest. Do you have the thermostat operating temp so that I can check that?

You can test the thermostat for continuity ... no continuity means bad thermostat and should be replaced

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi again, Kevin. I assume that the thermostat is the usual bimetallic Open/Close thermal switch so checking continuity is simple but I'd like to check it's operating temperature too. If this is printed on the device, I can use that info but if not, I'll need at least a typical value to test to. Thanks.

Please check this video... this is how thermal limiter is tested .. it is likely the element but you can just check this

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi again, Kevin. The video refers to thermal fuses (i.e. one-time or resettable overtemperature protectors) rather than thermostats (functional thermal switches) so my question hinged on terminology rather than functionality. If the device is a thermal fuse, I will assume that it's still intact because the problem is intermittent and safety fuses must never be intermittent!
An intermittent heater is therefore the only really likely culprit so I'll proceed on that basis immediately and close this item out later today. Many thanks again for your knowledgeable and prompt assistance.
There is no need to respond to this message: I'll correspond again only if I have a problem.
Kind Regards
Patrick

OK let me know

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Kevin, I got sidetracked on something else for the afternoon but I found that one of the four thermostats (not thermal fuses) in the heater was open circuit, so that only one of the two elements could have worked. The device is rated 120C and I'll have to get a replacement by post. I expect that will solve the problem.
Many thanks again for your assistance and interest. I will now close the query out with a full star complement!
Cheers
Patrick
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, Kevin. I was away for a few days but I'm back to the dryer problem again now. I made a mistake in my previous message: only three of the devices mounted on the heater are thermostats (and all seem OK), the fourth is an NTC thermistor (12k at 20 deg C and changes with temp, so seems OK). Heating elements are both functional. Dryer heats up OK at start of cycle and condensed water is pumped to reservoir but cycle terminates prematurely (heating switches off, although tumbling action continues, drying LED goes off and Anti-crease LED goes on). Please advise what causes this fault and how to test for it.
Many thanks.
Patrick
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 7 months ago.

Patrick if you have already tested and checked the heating element and thermostat then please check the wiring from heater to the control ... if the wiring harness appears fine then with the dryer unplugged check the control board for any burns

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kevin, thanks for response. Yes, the heating element and thermostats seem OK and heating works normally at the start. Wiring harness looks perfect and control PCB has no obvious sign of damage (no burnt components or traces etc) even under a magnifier. Dryer starts correctly, tumbles and heats up for about 10 minutes, then continues to tumble but heating switches to low or off altogether (hard to tell which), drying LED goes off and Anti-crease LED goes on. Looks like the machine considers that the clothes are already dry and is just tumbling cold so as to avoid creases, although clothes are still warm but very damp. Some water will have collected in the upper tank but lots still in the clothes!
Cheers
Patrick

Patrick, you have written that everything was cleaned ... can you please tell me what all was cleaned ? Also please tell me its complete model number and the PNC number as well

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kevin, as part of the heating element and thermistor/NTC check, I cleaned out the heater housing. Heating elements look perfect, thermostats and NTC OK. I also cleaned out the airways in the machine, the drum and the inside of the machine i.e., apart from the condensate pipes (which seem OK), everything was cleaned. The felt ring sealing the front of the drum was found to be partially unglued and this was repaired. Fans, water reservoir and water tank were also cleaned and any sediment (there was very little) removed. In short, cleanliness-wise, the thing is in showroom condition!
Model No. AWZ8477 Serv. No. 8575 847 15070 / 07 0709 101785
Hope that's all you need. Cheers. Patrick

OK I will open this to other experts... someone will be able to help you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kevin (or another), it's been five days now and no new info! In the meantime, I checked out the condensate pump and pipes (all OK), cleaned the humidity sensor metal strips and checked their response by wedging the door switch closed and applying variable finger pressure to the humidity sensor while in test mode (I can generate the various LED indications that simulate humidity conditions OK), checked the remaining NTC temp sensors (reasonable resistance values that vary with temperature) so everything looks OK but the machine STILL STOPS HEATING PREMATURELY in the drying cycle. Does anyone have a more detailed test sequence and supporting documentation to finally pin this problem down? I need to wrap this up pronto.
Thanks and Regards
Patrick