Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an 8 year old whirlpool dishwasher model number adg

hi ,
I have an 8 year old whirlpool dishwasher model number adg 7560/1 and for the 1st time when I hit the 'on' button this evening it starts as normal but within 3 minutes or less it stops with a double beep as if it had done its usual cycle of approx. 90 mins
I have tried turning it off for a time and switching it back on and even trying different cycles but with the same result.
any help or suggestions greatly welcome.
kind regards;
Eamonn
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 5 months ago.

Try this its a test cycle.

Turn the dishwasher on and select the rinse cycle first on the left.

Turn the dishwasher off.

Press and hold the start button and turn it back on.

Hold the start button in till the start light is flashing then let go.

Now press the start button once and close the door.

Now it will run a 12 minute test cycle. If it picks up a fault it will stop, drain the water out and beep.

Open the door and the start light will be flashing. Count the number of flashes from it in between the pause and let me know.

Then press and hold the start button to reset it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Daniel,the 12 minute cycle started two minutes ago and the dishwasher is continually beeping, is that normal?
when you say I may have to drain it, you mean physically take the water out or is there a mechanism to release the water down the drain of the dishwasher?kind rgdseamonn
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 flashes between the pauses

Ok about the drain i mean the dishwasher drains itself and then beeps and the start light flashes. You dont need to do anything for the draining.

As to the 5 flashes i thought you would get that error code.

This is a wash motor fault. Ive seen it many times on these but just want to confirm with the error code you got.

What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and lay it on its left side and remove the base.

From there you will see the wash motor at the back. Take this off and just see if theres anything stuck in there.

If that's all clear then the motor itself will be faulty and will need to be replaced. To be honest its more then likely clear but worth checking just in case. Ive seen this fault many times and its nearly always the wash motor at fault.

Now the odd time it has turned out to be the control board but that's very rare as like I said its nearly always the wash motor at fault which causes this fault.

Sorry it not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Daniel, if you saw the location of the dishwasher, you'd be shaking your head! and its also integrated, would it be better than I replace it rather than repair it given its 8/9 years old?kind regardsEamonn

It doesnt suprise me if its in an awkard place as i see it all the time ha ha.

To be honest at about 8/9 years old then its probberly not really worth fixing. As a wash motor on this is around the £150-200 mark thats not including the labour if you need to get an engineer in then you can add another £60 on top of that.

So you would probberly be best replacing the appliance given the money it will cost to fix it im afraid.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fair play Daniel, thanks for your help this evening,best regardseamonn

Your very welcome Eamonn.

If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.