Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Dometic caravan fridge RM 8551 Bought a new Elddis Caravan

Dometic caravan fridge RM 8551
Bought a new Elddis Caravan in 2016 with the above fridge fitted which we have used without a problem for approx 10 weeks. Now the control panel comes on when the 240v volt power supply is connected but the switches are frozen and don't respond to being pushed. Fortunately, the temperature is set on the middle setting which eventually cools the fridge to the required temperature when we are on mains power..
When the 240v power is disconnected the control panel flashes and continues to do so even when the caravan is hooked up with the car engine running, (and the fridge doesn’t get cold).
We cannot change the setting to gas or to car battery
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem

, the quicker I can help ;-)

How old is the fridge?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
came with new caravan manufactured Jan 2015
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for that info. In this instance this one has a defective main control board. It has frozen up in a lock out position.On thing you can try, if you haven't already, is to remove all power from the fridge, 240 VAC and 12 VDC for 1 full hour then re-power the unit, that may clear the situation if all it is a power glitch that caused this condition.

If it does Great! But if not you will need a new main control board fitted to this fridge.

It may still be covered under the manufacturers warranty;-)

I would also check on that.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Sincerely

Tech Michael