Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

How do I reset a Whirlpool washer AWOC 0714 which has error

How do I reset a Whirlpool washer AWOC 0714 which has error code F05 (Thermistor has been replaced)
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

F05 is indeed a thermistor releated fault on this model. But to be honest its usually a broken wire that causes this rather then the thermistor itself.

What you need to do is checking this yourself is remove the back cover and access the heater in the back of the drum.

There you will see the small wiring block going to the thermistor.

Disconnect the wiring block and give the wires a tug were it goes into the block. As what normally happens is the wires break inside the block so looking at it it may look ok but has broken inside.

If the wires are fine from the thermistor itself then follow the wires to the top of the board. Then you need a multi meter and test contonuity fro there to the thermistor and that will tell you if theres a broken wire in there.

But if the wires are fine then the control board will be the fault there and will need to be replaced. As for the error code it can only be the thermistor, wiring or the control board that can causes this fault.

So check the wiring as most of the time this is the cause of the F05 error code. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry - this didnt answer the question - The thermistor has been replaced - how do you reset the washer to remove the error code?
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

Theres a fault in there so you need to fix the fault and then the error code will clear itself.

Its not a case of resetting the error code as if its still flashing the code then its still picking up the fault.

If you unplug it and wait a few minutes and plug it back in how long does it run for before it flashes back again?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Straight away - However I'm told that you need to go through a reset sequence to reset the washer
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

No thats not true on these. You only need to do this on dryers. Washer automatcially reset themselves once the fault has been fixed.

So if the F05 code is still comming up then the control board is still picking up a fault in there. As i said thermistors dont fail on these, Its nearly always the wiring to the thermistor that breaks and causes this fault.

I am a Whirlpool engineer so know how these work. So check the wiring if you can and see what you find.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks - I will check the machine on Sunday - can you tell me where the wiring from the Thermistor goes into the Control Board - so I can run a check on the wiring?
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I dont usually work saturdays online.

As to the location the thermistor goes on the control board the service manula doesnt show the excate location on there. But its not a big board so follow the wires up and you should be able to find it easy s from memory its either the red wires or gray and its usually a 2 wire block on the control board and i think from memory its on the left hand side of the board.