George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

The Neff dishwasher will not start. The spray symbol lights

Customer Question

The Neff dishwasher will not start. The spray symbol lights up when I put the machine on the ECO cycle and it makes a small noise, then the water does not run in.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello Felicity, my name is George,

Can you open the door of the appliance and give me the ENR & FD that are etched into the metal at the top of the doors inner panel please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ENR is S51E50X1GB/03
FD is 9107

The noise that the appliance makes when it first starts, does it continue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. After a couple of pumping sounds it stops

If you empty a pan of water into the tub, then turn the appliance on and try to programme it as usual, what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I poured a couple of pints of water into the dishwasher and tried to start it again. Nothing happened...same two second pumping sound. sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I switch on, the symbols which are red-lit are the ECO , the S-shaped arrow symbol and the star shaped symbol. the spray-like symbol to the left of the tap symbol is red-flashing on and off.

It would need to be a full pan to register against the pressure switch...

If all it does is pump out the water you just poured in then you'll need to:

1. Check that the water to the appliance is switched on
  2. Check/change the inlet valve
  3. Check/change the flow meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water is pumping out after a gallon was poured in. The symbol to the left of the tap symbol, which looks like a spray or small brush shape is still flahing. the other lights as described before come on but the machine is not starting to fill with water.

"No water is pumping out after a gallon was poured in."

are you saying that the water did pump out, or didn't pump out?

If it did pump out, then see instruction above...

If it didn't pump out then turn off the power to the appliance; soak all water; remove the metal panel underneath the door to access the pump; remove the pump by unlatching the locking tab and twisting the pump; check for debris restricting the impeller of the pump.

Going offline now.. continue tomorrow

.

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine does not pump water in or out. Where is the inlet valve and how do I recognise it?

If the appliance is not pumping out the water then the appliance will not detect an empty tub and therefore it will not start to fill..

Turn off the power to the appliance; soak all water until the tub is empty; remove the metal panel underneath the door to access the pump; remove the pump by unlatching the locking tab and twisting the pump; check for debris restricting the impeller of the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have started the machine - it just started up when I tried it yesterday morning - I think it is a problem with water not filling the machine when I try to start it. I still do not know where the 'inlet valve' is - and will need to know if it happens again - any suggestions? The machine is in a run of cupboards next to the sink and I could not get to the pump because I would have to take the cupboard door off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you George, the machine is working well again. I have a plumber coming on Saturday to check on the water supply. I do not have a mobile phone - so no app!
Thank you for your help, Felicity

The inlet valve on these appliances is at the rear of the appliance at the bottom, where the hose from the fill-hose connects.

Thanks for letting me know the update.