Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have just returned from holiday to find my whirlpool

Hi, I have just returned from holiday to find my whirlpool American style fridge freezer the fridge is not working . The bulb has also gone , I have not got a spare bulb to try , but I cannot believe the working of the bulb affects the refrigeratoring?
The freezer part is all working fine. I have removed the cover in the freezer to see if the Coil and drain hole were frozen solid but they were fine
Please help
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 9 months ago.

You are correct in that the fridge bulb wont stop the cooling at all in there.

Can you post the model number of the appliance please.

Also just to double check that the evaportaor behind the panel in the freezer is free from ice is it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is free from ice
I think the number is ***** 337 33117
If not where would I find the model number

No thats not the model number. If you look inside the fridge behind the second drawer up on the right hand side you will see a sticker. On there you will see a service code that starts 85. Can you post that please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok sorry
I think this is it
858619015012
Is that it

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minuites to look this up and i will get back to you very soon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks

Ok just check this and see if theres a vacation mode on there. The service details dont really show much. If there is you will see a picture of an umbrella. If you see this press that button and turn it off and this will get fridge cooling again.

But if you dont have that or it isnt turned on and the freezer evaporator is clear then its possibley the air damper at the top on the fridge not opening to allow the air to enter the fridge section.

What you need to do is empty the fridge section and from there you need to remove the plastic panel.

Behind there at the top left you will see the damper. In there is a plastic gate. Use a screwdriver and half open this and refit the covers and see how it goes from there.

If it starts to get cold then the damper is the fault and will need to be replaced.

But if it does start to cool keep an eye on it as with the damper open it will get too cold and start to freeze up in there.

Check them and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will try this now and give me half hour and I will get back to you

No worries thats fine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I turn the power off while I am removing the cover?

from memory i dont think theres anying electric behind that panel there other then the damper at the top. But you dont need to remove that to remove the cover.

But you caan do just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, have removed panel and the damper wears closed , I have opened half way and put cover back with just a couple of the 8 screws to temporary hold the cover on
How long should I wait to see if it's cooling

Give it an half an hour and you should feel cooling in there. If you do then we know its the damper.

But im afraid you may find this will then get too cold in the fridge as the damper wont shut off so too much cold air enters the fridge.

In this case you need to replace the damper in there and that should get it back up and running again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks will get back to you in 30 minutes
Thanks fingers crossed

No worries, I will be online till about 11pm tonight.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, initially it seemed to start cooling , we have placed a thermometer in the fridge and it was dropping, however now it seems to be rising again. Should the freezer motor being running all the time? As that's now stopped in the last ten minutes as Well?

No the motor isnt ment to run all the time. It will cycle on and off as it mainly goes off the freezer temperture rather then the fridge. So if the freezer reaches temperture then it will shut off for a bit.

Or it could have gone into defrost mode. As if it has then it can switch off for about 20 minutes roughly.

So just leave it and it should kick back in soon and start cooling again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will be patient

Im sure it will start up again soon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, just to make sure re the freezer, I removed the lower panel last night and there is a coil approx one -2 foot high at the bottom of the freezer and a drain hole in the bottom, I assume that we are both talking about the same thing ?

Yes thats the part i was talking about before. If this is free from ice then thats normal. As if it was blocked with ice then it will stop the air flow into the fridge.

So as it was clear then thats fine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well it seems all fine to me

If it was blocked you would have noticed it as it will be 1 big white block.

Plus as you said it started to get cold after opening the damper then it proves thats clear in there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, it's not cooling the fridge anymore , anymore suggestions

Has it kicked back in yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the motor is working again

Ok check the damper again and see if its closed.

As what can happen is the gate breaks so the motor in there may not open the damper but can still close it.

So when it switched off it may have closed the damper and because the damper gate is broken it may not be able to open it.

So check that damper again and see if its closed and if it is open it and see if it starts cooling again

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok , done that and yes the gate had closed , it also seemed much colder the gate?
Will now wait another 15 mins and get back to you

Ok this is a faulty damper as its able to close but not able to open. The plastic gate in there will have broken so the damper will need to be replaced on this im afraid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok that's still great to solve it , how do I order a new one ?
Also any coincidence linked to the bulb blowing ?

The part number for it is C00311201. Just do a google search and you will find it. Check the prices as they do change between suppiler.

And its a coincidence with the light as that wont cause the damper to fail or the other way round.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok cool are they easy to fit

Yes, You need to go into the freezer at the top behind the ice maker at the top you will see the 4 clips of the damper in there. squesse they in and then you can remove the damper from inside the fridge then and swap it over. They are quite simple really.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok that is brilliant , thank you so much
I have ordered one , can I contact you further if this does not work ?

Of course you can. If it doesnt work then just get back. But im sure you will be fine.

If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great. You can still get back to me on this after rating as that isnt a problem.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.