Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have just bought a second hand whirlpool American style

I have just bought a second hand whirlpool American style fridge freezer and have found neither the fridge or freezer are working the freezer freezes now and then it seems it reaches freezing temperature then defrosts itself is this going to be expensive to repair
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 7 months ago.

When it defrosts itself is it fully defrosting?

What is the display on the freezer door showing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
totally it has 2 -- on screen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not cold at all and alarm goes and there is 2 lines on display
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello are you still there ???

Ok can you hear the compressor and the fan at the back of the appliance running?

If you open both doors then feel the center post between the fridge and freezer and see if its hot to touch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not hot to touch yes I can hear the fan and compressor but not cold inside fridge or freezer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
every so often I can hear a clicking noise ??

Ok if the compressor is running but its not cooling inside then its a system fault.

When you transported it and put in its location did you leave it to stand before plugging in or did you just plug it in? If you just plugged it stright in then it may be a blockage in there as when transported you need to leave the appliance to settel for several hours as the oil and gas is mixed together so they need to settle down. If this is the case then you need a fridge engineer in to regass it and clear the blockage in there as this isnt a diy fix.

But if you did leave it to settel before plugging in then its looking like a faulty compressor on this. Also given you hear a clicking noise this could be the relay on the compressor clicking off. Again this isnt a diy repair as it needs a fridge engineer in for that.

Sorry its not good news but if the compressor is running but not cooling then this is a system fault and can only be fixed by a fridge engineer with the tools to regas it, Sorry.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did leave it for about 18 hours before plugging it in can you poss give me an idea of what this might cost to get sorted please

Ok if you left it several hours then that will be fine.

Cost wise for a new compressor fitted is roughly around the £250-300 mark. They are very expensive to replace im afraid.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thankyou for your help

Your very welcome.

If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.