Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

Just defrosted model PCG23GS fridge/freezer as not making

Just defrosted model PCG23GS fridge/freezer as not making ice. Turned on and cooled and starterd making ice, but now temp up to -7C and stopped...the side panel at top near front freezer door is hot to touch...had problem a few years ago and sorted, but cannot remember how...any ideas?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• The temperature is too warm for the ice maker to run. The front panel being hot is indicative of the fan down by the compressor not running. That would also make the freezer warmer than it should be. I suspect that fan is blocked or faulty. Can you get a look at that fan, please?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What will be making the side panel hot? It is only close to the door close switch but surely this cannot get hot enough to heat up the steel side panel?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The condenser loop runs up through the cabinet. The fan not running down below is allowing the condenser to get too warm. Once the fan is running and the coil down there is clean, the heat will dissipate and proper cooling restore. The ice maker will also begin to work. Getting that fan running will be key to a happy refrigerator! :)

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is late night here, so will check the fan and cooling element tomorrow, and see if this works...will let you know, thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good, thank you! Have a peaceful evening....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I di what you said yesterday but there was not much to be cleaned off the cooler/fan at back of the unit...we did this only last year to get it working to temperature at that time. Then on turning on it went to -18C but when switching on ice maker, this did a single rotation which formed ice, then the unit started to warm up and ice making stopped...the unit then rose to -11C and got hot at the side panel again. We decided to leave it overnight and this morning it is back down to -18C...all good with freezer again, but now the ice maker is solid with ice and again not operating...back to the original situation...freezer working at -18C but ice maker frozen solid. I am cautious about repeating the thaw cycle again as don't want to risk losing freezer again. Is there any other way to thaw the ice maker mechanism. At the moment, the push fit black water supply tube has been pushed out the back by the ice (this happened before a year or so ago and I chipped the ice away to refit it, but we never got the ice maker working...at least I know two things...the freezer works so there is no gas leak...and the ice maker unit works when it is not clogged up with frozen ice.
What can you advise?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have since this message thawed the ice maker by turning power off and thawing ice around the ice maker...the temp is now -13C and turned on again, so hopefully freezer will cool back to -18C with the ice maker turned off...then I plan to turn it on when down to -18C and see if it all works correctly. Do you have access to an online tech manual for this GE Model PCG23GS fridge/freezer...if so can you please send a link so I can read how it all works...then I may be able to work out why certain things happen and work out what could be the cause. Thanks...JOHN...I am planning to send a 5 star for your help, as you have put me anyway on the right track I am sure.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I only am able to access the tech sheet. It may help and is attached.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks...it may help, but at the moment the freezer is not cooling at all...up to +3C and sitting there...the ice maker switch is off, the ambient temperature is about 24C so warm but not really very hot (it is for the UK!!!) so I will wait now overnight and let you know outcome tomorrow.Cheers...JOHN
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If you unplug it and plug it back in, will it start cooling? It is starting to sound like a control board issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try this...does this do a system reset?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Yes, it will tell us if the board is having issues. Leave it unplugged for a few minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Looking good, my friend!
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Did it start running after plugging back in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it was probably running but not registering the right temperature...it showed -18C shortly after doing this, but overnight is now back to -17C and I have yet to restock it with frozen food which I will do before trying the ice maker which is still turned off, but at least not frozen solid. I will keep you posted. I seem to recall a way to get the ice maker to do a dummy cycle, using the large flat paddle in a sequence...do you know what this sequence is?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Yes, turn the ice maker off and then when you turn it back on, press the paddle in three times. See the attached page.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have a link for the document to which you refer in your jpg attachment? I think this will let me find out how to get this beast going...thanks for the help so far...I will do this three flicks with the paddle and see what happens...hopefully then it will continue to work after the initiation cycle. Will let you know...thanks, JOHN
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The manual for the ice maker is attached.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The three flicks get the cycle test running, but although I have it fully defrosted there is no water being delivered and the iceman does not seem to want to start and continue running, I will read the manual to see if I should do some sort of start routine, are you aware of one? Temperature is between -16 and -18C, so freezer now working again. I am really still back to square one, but at least with defrost and knowing the ice maker does run...but only in manual response to the three flicks!
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If the freezer temperature is adequate, the ice maker is faulty if it will not harvest on its own.

Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Technician with over 30 years of experience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am rating you for all your help, but hope to keep our dialogue open whilst I try to find the reason the ice maker is not starting...as it did one full production cycle immediately after the first normal defrost cycle...the ice pellets show this was working then, so it is now just finding how to get it operating continuously...let me know if you have any ideas...and I will read through the manual. At least the Olympics are going well for us here in the UK!