KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have an AEG Electrolux (Model: L14850 ... Product number00

Customer Question

Hi, I have an AEG Electrolux (Model: L14850 ... Product number###-##-####00 ... type H1054324). Night before last, I put the machine on an empty (to clean) 95C wash and at some point during the cycle the machine started making its error beeping sound with yellow start/pause light flashing and showing the code EFO. Not knowing the fault, as the machine drum was empty and the door could be opened, we turned the machine off both on dial and at the mains. Since then, despite the fact we turned the machine off at dial and kept it off there, every time I turn the machine back on at the power switch it continues to sound like it is part way through a cycle! i have tried a few things but nothing seems to work to stop this. I can't use the machine for a new cycle as it sounds like it is already doing something (sounds but not, at least not in the drum) and the EFO message still overrides the display screen. We have had errors in the past re door which were rectified but we've never experienced this strangeness re the machine sounding like its on when it's not (EFO is new to us too). I can only stop this by turning off at the mains. Please can you help?? Thanks in advance!
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just answer ....Their should be a sub code as well... please do this :

Turn the machine on and after it is on... press and hold the start/pause and the nearest option button together.
Now keep on holding them, the leds will initially switch off and then the error code will be displayed. (Let me know this error code)

If no error code is displayed then check the start/pause light and count the flashes of the yellow light, then from the red light.
Let me know the error code. (Yellow number first if using the lights).

________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I got error code EF3?
Listening to the machine again now, it sounds like a chugging noise?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Quite fast chugging noise that has now gone back to machine in cycle noise.
I've returned the dial to the 95 wash in order to press buttons as advised. The machine continues to have cycle noise and every now and again the beeping error noise with yellow light flashing. Error code has gone back to EFO now I'm not holding the buttons down. Thanks

EF3 indicates water control system defective... this error is caused when water is leaking inside the machine and thus. the anti flood device is activated... with the washer unplugged you will have to take the water out from the base (under tub) so to reset the anti flood device... it is likely the pump that will need replacement

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Online research suggested the same ie anti-flood but I obviously didn't know what this meant. There is no water showing anywhere.... Earlier today I unscrewed the emergency empty hose (located under door, bottom right of machine, at front) but it was dry, nothing came out at all!

The problem can be with the pressure switch or pressure chamber... I would also check for the blockages in dispenser to tub hose... also for the blockages in tub to drain pump hose

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have also tried to unscrew the cap next to this - I believe this accesses the pump?
It is so tightly done up though, that I can't move it anti-clockwise even a mm. I think I will need to wait for the husband to arrive home later to try this for me. You haven't mentioned this but I assume we need to check this area of the machine? If husband can get the pump cap undone, and we empty whatever might be in there (do you think there might be a blockage?) will that sort things? I get the error code means something and in this case anti flood but why does the machine continue to sound like its in cycle?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry was always typing when your last response came through!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is the pressure switch/ pressure chamber? Tub hose?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think I need to disconnect any pipes from the back of the machine?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also it's an old machine... Do you think we will overcome this problem quite quick and easily or is it worth us going to get a new one? Is it likely to be the machine and not related to any pipe work? In other words do you think we'd be fine if we just went and got a replacement or could we risk having problems even with a new machine?? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
34;The problem can be with the pressure switch or pressure chamber... I would also check for the blockages in dispenser to tub hose... also for the blockages in tub to drain pump hose" - Kevin where can I locate these parts of the machine please? Where is the tub hose? The pressure chamber & switch? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Kevin? Please advise. I might be asking what seems silly questions but I am not a technician and am not familiar with diagnosing washing machine parts/problems (I always used to get my dad to help). Thanks

Dawn, sorry for late response... I was away.. check this image...by cap if you mean the drain pump filter located at the bottom front then yes you should clean it completely and the impeller inside should turn freely... with the limited information I have that is what error code means, the pressure switch is located on the right after you remove the top of the appliance... if their are blockages or if a part requires replacement it will cost around £150 in repairs

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Kevin, no worries. Husband is now home.... He's managed to take off the front bit where the pump is (what I called the cap and what appears to be 521 on your diagram). However we are now stuck with a flat piece we can't seem to remove. I think this might be 130 in your diagram. Can you suggest what needs to be done to get this off so we can pull out the long piece (the impeller??) please. Thanks

130 ?? you dont have to pull out the filter, just make sure it is clean and then check the drain pump for any clogs

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
130 - as in a piece shown on the image you shares in your last message
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can we check it is clean if we can't pull it out in the first place?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't worry. We will persevere and continue to see how we go with trial and error. Thx

130 is the seal ? you can simply pull out the hose and clean the drain pump