Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Integrated Fridge/Freezer: How to determine the % split? I

Integrated Fridge/Freezer: How to determine the % split?
I am replacing an integrated fridge/freezer in a property I let. I am not sure how to calculate the % split to find the right size replacement. I have the measurements for the overall fridge/freezer and the actual size of the fridge door and freezer door but I'm not sure if this is how the % split is determined?
The overall height of the fridge/freezer is 178cm.
The fridge door height is 101cm (appliance door size, not the furniture)
The freezer door height is 62cm (appliance door size, not the furniture)
Do I need a 70/30 or 60/40 split or is the split size more related to the capacity of the appliance rather than the door sizes?
Do I need to specifically but a specific split size?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Do you have the model of the refrigerator you have now, please?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The split is not going to dictate the overall size that will fit, as the split may be different but the overall size the same. The link below shows many different configurations for your review.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm afraid I don't know the specs of the current one as it is a property I let out to tenants so I don't live there. The appliance was there when I bought it.

So do I only need to see if it is a fixed/sliding door and from there I can buy a 60/40 or a 70/30 or is there a difference in the door size for the cabinet it is attached to?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The only critical thing is the opening in the cabinet. The rest won't matter. If you can measure the opening, that will dictate which models you will be able to fit in there, no matter whether a 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30 split.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Do I need a 70/30 or 60/40 split?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The split configuration does not matter to the size of space you have. The splits can be totally different but the cabinet size the same, so the split is a matter of preference. Let me see which models will fit the height requirement you have. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

All of the models at the link below are between 170-179 cm tall, so any of them will work. ONCE YOU FIND ONE YOU LIKE, THE EXACT DIMENSIONS ARE LISTED FOR VERIFICATION.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Just so I confirm my understanding, are you saying that whatever I buy, as long as the height, width and depth of the overall appliance fits into the cupboard space, the door split is not an issue (as long as it is not 50/50?)

I was looking at something like the cheaper ones at Currys and AO for less than £300. Can you please confirm if these are ok (the first few under £300) that are the 70/30 split.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/integrated-fridge-freezers/refrigeration/fridge-freezers/333_3125_30212_xx_ba00010668-bv00308544/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

http://ao.com/l/fridge_freezers-built_in/1-9/26/?sort=aol_saleincvat

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Sure, those are all less than 178 com and 54cm wide. So they should work fine, the split pattern is irrelevant so they should work just fine! :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok thanks. So just to clarify, it doesn't matter if it is a 60/40 or a 70/30 split, they will still fit the cupboard doors?

Sorry to keep asking this but I have read lots of different conflicting things on different forums on the internet! :)

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Are the doors custom fit panels that match the cupboards or just the metal doors? I was under the impression they were just the metal doors of the refrigerator. If they are the cus***** ***** panels, that will be a much more difficult find because the panels will not likely match up to a new unit, depending on the unit in there now, its brand and its age.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

They are cus***** ***** panels, like the standard cupboards of an integrated kitchen. Is this not what an integrated fridge/freezer sits in?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

That may be the standard in the UK but in the US it means that it is just built into the cabinet, mostly the depth and design configuration. If the panels are custom, I will need the model from the old unit to see if they are usable with a new model or if they may be configured to fit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I put this question on the UK site as I am in the UK. Is it possible to release this question for a UK based person to answer please as I cannot ask the same question again.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I can help you but sure, I will opt out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I need an expert in the UK to answer the question and the expert is in the US.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 9 months ago.

If the door on the fridge is 101cm and the freezer is 62cm then you have the 70/30 split appliance.

You can only replace this with a 70/30 split appliance as otherwise the wooden doors will stop the inside doors from opening and closing correctly.

So you need a 70/30 split on this appliance for a direct replacment.

Hope this helps you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your help.

Do you need to know the cupboard door size of the freezer or are the actual appliance door sizes accurate enough? (I'm not sure how it is calculated).

Can you please explain how is this worked out as looking at the dimensions I would have guessed 60/40 which I am obviously wrong about! Also, I noticed Currys and AO sell 70/30 or 50/50 so the 70/30 you said also makes sense. I just wondered if there is a calculation that is used so I know for future reference.

Thanks again.

To be honest its very rare you see a 60/40 split built in appliance in the UK . As we most use either 50/50 or 70/30. Very rare you find a 60/40

Hence Currys and AO only selling the 50/50 and the 70/30.

As you say the fridge door on your old one is 62cm. This is too small to be a 60/40 split so thats why i know its the 70/30 you have.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok thanks so much, I'm happy to go ahead with a 70/30 on that advice.

I also forgot to ask if I need to check when buying about fixed-on-door or slider door? Do most built-in fridge/freezers work on sliders?

Yes i think all built in use the sliders.

Its only the built in large fridge or freezers that use hinges so no matter which you you get it willl be sliders. But im sure it will say on the describtion any way.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.