Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Samsung dishwasher serial no. DMS301TRW. I refilled

Customer Question

I have a Samsung dishwasher serial no. DMS301TRW. I refilled the salt container when the sign appeared but the sign has not disappeared and the crockery have a film over them. What am I doing wrong ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

To confirm you have a symbol which looks like an S not a *, as film is not often caused by lack of softened water but more by lack of rinse aid.

I assume you followed instructions as per page 19 of the manual, and filled the compartment up to the top with salt?

It may also be a case of needing to adjust how much salt is used by the dishwasher, which I can talk you through.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rinse aid compartment is full. This is the first time the dishwasher has caused me any trouble. I have had to re-wash everything by hand to remove the taste of salt. Could there be a blockage anywhere ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

It is possible you may have dropped some salt in the dish washer when filling the compartment?

If there isnt any water in the bottom of the dishwasher it rules out a blocked drain, the cycle would have performed a rinse cycle, it could be possible that some salt crystals got into the sump when you topped up the salt, and a few rinse cycles should fix that. otherwise it sounds like the regeneration \ water softener has failed.

I would suggest you run the dish washer on a series of rinse cycles, place a up right container in the dish washer to collect the water and inspect it after each cycle and see if its cloudy or salty, let me know the results after 3 cycles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have run three rinse cycles through the dishwasher and each time the water is cloudy and slightly salty. What next?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

This would suggest you need to strip the unit down, and potentially replace the water softener.

I would suggest this is done by an dishwasher engineer, as they will be able to test components as they go, your looking at around £50 for labour, and would think you are looking at around £50-100 in parts. If you provide me your postcode I can recommend somone in your area.

With regard to an alternative work around if you empty the salt out, and turn off the water softening feature (I can talk your through this) after about 10 rinses the water should become clear again, and that then means your using hard water to clean, depending on your area (south of England) hard water will cause a build up a limescale over the years and also reduce the effectiveness of your dishwasher soap, but clearly costs nothing to do.

James