Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We recently purchased an electrolux integrated column larder

Customer Question

We recently purchased an electrolux integrated column larder fridge when our kitchen was replaced by Wren kitchens. The units are designed as handleless by Wren. Unfortunately,although Wren recommended the fridge they did not have one on display so that we could asses its suitability.
My wife and I are both in our mid seventies and find the door very difficult to open. The manager of the Wren showroom has suggested that the problem lies with the magnetic trim that seals the door and thinks it may be possible to somehow reduce its strength and make it easier to open.
The two door hinges also squeak and I wonder if they were supplied by electrolux of by Wren. Your advice would be much appreciated
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon my name is ***** ***** regarding the seal and reducing its strength, total rubbish, the magnetic seal is there to ensure that there is an air tight seal in the cooling cavity. If you reduce this seal so you allow air to ingress into the cavity and subsequently cause you an ice build up problem. In your situation I would have them fit a standard kitchen cabinet door handle to the facia panel -- something like this - http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/cabinet_furniture_and_hardware/handles_and_knobs/13279/14mm_bar_handle_brushed_nickel/443589?vat=1&shopping=true&gclid=CLuPxt2My84CFYccGwodD78Kfg&gclsrc=aw.ds - this will give both your wife and your good self the leverage you require without negating your appliance warranty due to poor fitting.