Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Currys Essentials Hob Unit

Currys Essentials Hob Unit
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 5 months ago.

What is the problem you are having with the hob?

Is it wiring it up that you are stuck with?

Can you post a picture of the wiring connection box please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am unable to send a picture.

Ok what model hob do you have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am Deaf. The Model is 60 cm Electric Solid hob CSPHOBW15 / CSPHOBX15

Got it now thanks.

So what is the trouble you are having wiring it up?

Is it you need to know which wire goes were?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There doesn't appear to be anywhere for the wire to be inserted and turned around the screw clockwise in the normal fashion

Ok looking at the service info on this it shows the wiring connections as below.

Live is at the top on the left hand side.

Neutral is on the right half way down.

And the earth is just under the neutral.

What you need to do is loosen the screw and then feed the wire under the screw and wrap it round it and tighen the screw again.

Do that on all 3 and thats it job done.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That sounds quite easy I must say. The screws in question do slacken but are reluctant to come out to that extent. Do I have to loosen all the screws and then lift part of the Bakelite fitting and then make the connection and then clamp the wires when retightening the screws ?

To be honest it should be easy really.

All you need to do is just loosen the screw dont fully remove it otherwise you will loose the nut underneath.

Just loosen the screw so you can then feed the wire under it and then tighen it to secure the wire.

The thing with Currys hobs is as you might know currys dont manufactor hobs. They buy then in and put there name on it. They usually use Chinese built hobs which use different parts. But according to the manual its the wiring block that the wires go under the screw.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. It seems like a typical Chinese job. I shall have to be extremely careful making these rather jerry connections. Instruction - "Always place the wire to the side of the screw which tightens" ie. Clockwise but no wrap around

Yep place the wire to the side of the screw that tightens and you should be fine.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I rated your answer one same night, I was quite happy with it and will have no trouble with the installation when the old one eventually packs up. Seventy years ago I was a Boy Scout and I always like to "Be Prepared"My regards.
Peter