Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a hoover SE234 washing machine and its dial seems to

hello we have a hoover SE234 washing machine and its dial seems to be rotating. Keeps washing when it should stop. How can we reset it ?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

If you select a spin only cycle is it doing the same on there just spinning forever untill you stop it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello yes it was on fast wash and I turned it to fast spin. It did this then launched into another cycle again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dial was then rotating around and around
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with a click click clicking action
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok im afraid when this happens its the control unit thats the fault on this im afraid.

To cure this you will need to replace the control unit at the top. But this is an expensive part and given the age of the washer as its a good few years old is this model then its not possibley worth it as you are looking at over the £100 mark just for the control timer.

Sorry its not good news but for the fault you have it can only be the control unit here. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm thats a pity. ok so is this model reliable even when its old ? Would £100 + be money well spent and lots more years or a waste of time ?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Its a decent model but with washers as they get older theres more that can break down. As you have the motor which can fail and also the drum bearings as well. As both of them are very expensive to replace.

Given you can get a 7kg 1200 spin Indesit washer which is just the same as a Hotpoint for £199 its probbley not spending £100+ fixing this older model.

But thats my thinking as washers dont last long now a days.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you for that advice, Im only asking to be sure before tossing it out because we got it for free so spending a bit might be ok. Or maybe better to buy a newer second hand machine. Its for occasional use in our business, not used every day.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Its up to yourself if you want to spend that money on it. You can get a second hand washer cheaper then the spare part and you can even get a brand new Beko washer for £160.

As i said personally i wouldnt spend that money on it as ive just checked and most of the parts are now obsolete on this Its still showing the control unit but the drum, motor and other bits are obsolete.

So its up to you if you like this washer and keep it going for as long as you can then go for it if thats what you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will buy another newer one, thanks for the advice. Just what I needed to hear. Cheers.