Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Siemans KG30 fridge freezer. Both compartments blowing warm

Siemans KG30 fridge freezer. Both compartments blowing warm air. Compressor warm to touch. ?loss of coolant. Is it worth trying to 're-gas'?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

How old is it David?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 years old. Thanks for the reply

If you can get around the back can you confirm that it is using Refrigerant R134a - it will either be on the compressor at the back or on the rating label inside the (usually) fridge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will check. It is my daughters and I am not on site!
Thanks for your help and interest!
David

OK David come back to me when you have the info - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian. I have taken several photos which hopefully I can attach. I this that the refrigerant is R600A.
Thanks for your help,
David

OK David - this is a tough call, R600a as a refrigerant is very thin, which means systems are more prone to leak than their R134a counterparts. The questions you have to ask is - did it leak out over 10 years, so much a year or did it leak out during the last two weeks? A regas in my area will cost you about £65, so its abit like buying shares, you have to take a chance that it will/wont work or buy a new appliance. -- Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian. Don't mind trying £65 for a refill of refrigerant. My daughter is being quoted silly money. Do you know anyone in the London N5 area who would do it for this sort of price.
Many thanks again for your help.
David

FFR services cover your area, they are Based in Luton 0844(###) ###-####but make sure you get them to quote for a recharge as charges likely will be more in London than up North were I am based. At this point can I ask you to rate the help given sofar, once done you can come back to me later if needed. Thanks for using JA and have a great evening.