JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My hotpoint BHWMD742 wont turn off

hi my hotpoint BHWMD742 wont turn off
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

What happens when you hold the power button for 5 seconds, does it beep, any of the indicators flash, or any error code shown on the display?

I would first try powering it off at the wall switch and turn it back on after 5 minutes and see if you can then turn the washer off via the button on the control panel.

Once I have the details about whats shown on the display I can certainly talk you through the steps to diagnosing the fault.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
held down power button for 5 sec no beep no error code turns back on tried step 2 and it just turns on at anti allergy 60
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding, so the machine is showing signs of life\ower, its just you cant select a program other than anti allergy 60?

Can you advise what is shown on the display\control panel, and if any lights are flashing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the machine won't turn off and stay off when it turns back on its allways anti allergy 60 other than that it works fine
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

So you push the standby button and it goes off, and it imminently comes back on, or does it come on minutes\house later by itself?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With in 2 to 3 mins
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

This sounds like a control panel failure, which is around £50 to replace.

I would suggest you arrange for an on site engineer to double check this, but I believe the button is shorting out and causing the machine to come back online.

If you provide your postcode I can recommend a suitable engineer to come to site.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My po code is ch48le
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

I have spoken to a colleague who has used an engineer called Chris a few times for washer repairs in your area, he comes highly recommended and doesnt charge a call out fee.

Chris can be contact on 0151(###) ###-####or 0774 316 197, if he thinks its uneconomical to repair he will tell you, so you are in safe hands.

If you need anything else please let me know

James