JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Bosch waq28461gb/12 where the start button doesn't

Hi Pearl,
I have a Bosch waq28461gb/12 where the start button doesn't start the cycle. The light next to the start button is flashing. The other touch sensitive buttons change settings, only the start button is unresponsive.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: It's a washing machine...
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

The flashing light is that flashing a set number of times, or is it constantly flashing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi James,
Thanks for your reply, the light flashes constantly.
Cordially
Roddy
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

What icons are shown on the display, and does it show the time for the programme which has been selected, or a code such as F10 or E11?It doesnt sound like child lock or anything obvious is enabled as your able to select the programme\change settings, which would make me think this is a hardware failure, but want to rule out delayed start\timer is enabled.

It would be worth starting by switching the power off and checking the filter is clear from any obstruction (if you need instructions for accessing the filter please let me know), Secondly I would check the pipes to the rear are not kinked.

Please let me know how you get on.

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi James,
I tested the door catch, a Rold DKS64. The only circuit closing (160 ohms) is across paddles 2 + 3 with the door closed. So I'll try a new catch.
Thanks for your help.
Roddy
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

No problem Roddy, what voltage are you getting across the three pins when the machine is on?

Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

(The leads from the control board)

As you should see a small current across the pins which is made up or earth\neutral and the third pin which is Open.

The 160 ohms sounds like the actuator, which would control the door lock, but the third pin should be closed circuit when the door is closed as that will be the sensor. It may be worth trying to jumper that to the neutral so the washer get the expected closed circuit and see if the light goes steady.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The front panel has been removed for access to the pins but I have kept the electrical connections together for testing. The door catch socket is disconnected so I can check voltage from the control. There is an asterisk on the display when the power is on. Regarding voltages...
1-2 75v at pin 2
1-3 1.2v at pin 3
2-3 Seems to be cycling along a range between 0 and 1 volts at a rate of 0.5 Hz
(Checked by counting 10 cycles from 0-1 and back totaling 20 seconds.)
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

So pins 1-2 must be the solenoid, and 1-3 door sensor.

I would be tempted to plug in 1-2 on the door lock, and then try and jumper pins 1-3 as clearly its looking for a resistance from the solenoid. If you still see an asterisk it would suggest the locking mechanism has a small PCB which is clearly doing something to the input.

Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
With short length of largest wire in USB cable across pins 1-3 (insulated where it crosses 2). Turn on with door closed no asterisk and door open symbol is on. Turn on with open door, no asterisk + no open door symbol. Close door while machine still on, beeps + E61 displayed. Tried these positions a couple more times when, with door closed, I heard lock activate and a crackle and pop a second after. Removed power and jumper hastily! No melting of insulation or carbon on strands of wire. Not sure why lock was activated as I hadn't pressed start.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried putting machine together again. No jumper etc. Tried reset procedure ie. Dial to off, then 6 o'clock (Rinse/Spin), press and hold spin select button and turn to 7 o'clock (drain). Display shows E37 but not been able to find what this corresponds to.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

E61 relates to the door lock, either it couldnt lock or wasnt in a valid state, which would make sense.

You may find the washer was already in a program state and waiting for the machine to meet pre-check before starting so the minute it saw the door was closed it tried to lock the door, and hence generated E61.

I have only seen E37 on Zanussi models, and they generally mean a sensor fault, so would put money its probably the same PCB used by Zanussi.

Change the lock over and see if that clears the fault, the sensor issue may be addressed by a working door mechanism, otherwise there could be damaged caused to them from being left out in the rain.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks James, much appreciated!