Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I've recently replaced a broken burner on my Electrolux

I've recently replaced a broken burner on my Electrolux oven. The new burner works but it can only offer the maximum heat. If I set it to a low or medium number on the knob it still puts out full heat with no intermittant on/off as it should do. What do you think?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Are you certain you got the burner wired up correctly? There is nothing other than the turn control that would cause that issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got the replacement burner from the Electrolux website but it did have a different shape connection to it. I matched the wiring configuration as closely as I could to the old part. Do you have a wiring diagram for that model or could you explain what I need to check for...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As I understand it the burners are daisy chained. The burner in question is the third in the series if that helps...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Each burner is connected only to the switch it is controlled by, usually. I will see if I can track the wiring diagram down for this model.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Appreciated. If you could send a diagram that would be very helpful. I'm out this evening from about 7pm, I've never used this support service before, can we pick this up tomorrow morning if need be?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Certainly, there is no time limits or restrictions. I will post what I can find. While I look for that diagram, I am going to open this question back up in case another has it readily available.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

It looks like Kelly has opted out of this so ive jumped in.

Ive just uploaded the wiring diagram for this so click the link below. You will see theres 2 diagrams as it goes of the serial number which you will see. You need the first 3 digits of the serial number to see which diagram you need.

Then have a look at that and check the wiring as if the hob is just comming on full heat then its somthing to do with the switch not regulating the element.

Was it a genuine switch and was it the same as the old one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK Daniel the wiring diagram has been very helpful. I've only ever tried swapping switches from the same cooker and the switch in question works correctly when connected to a different burner. I've double checked the wiring and all fine. I did notice that the casing of the new burner's connection has a different dial symbol to the others. I've attached a picture for you to see. On the new burner both dials are set to the 'full' position, whereas on the others the first dial is pointing at the second dash. Does this suggest that the burner is a fixed heat burner and the others are variable?
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Sorry my fault didn't realise youhad replace the burner itself. I thought it was just the switchWhat you need to do is have a good look at the burner as the position of the tags look the same as the old one but actually change position.Have a look at the old one very carefully and check the number on the tags. ie 2 and 2a and the same with 4 and 4a and they may have moved position so the tags look the same but they are now in different places in the new burner.Check that and let me know what you find.
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Daniel. I did what you said and as you suggested the numbers on the tags were in a different location. I reset them to what was marked on the diagram and it works! I really appreciate that! If you were here I'd buy you a beer but as it goes thanks enormously.
I've not used Just Answer before and I'm uncertain about the charges. £16 has been deducted from my paypal account already which is fine as you helped me fix the problem. Do you know hat period of time does that payment covers? Is it going to keep deducting money?