Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Kelly, My old Fridge/Freezer is in the garage. While we were

Customer Question

Kelly,
My old Fridge/Freezer is in the garage. While we were away on holiday we switched it off and defrosed. When we returned and switched on it tripped the circuit breaker in the garage and the electric garage door stopped working. If I switch off the fridge/freezer and then switch on the circuit breaker the garage door works. If I switch on the Fridge/Freezer it trips again. The fuse in its plug is OK.
Any ideas on what might be wrong? Is it time to replace- it is over 20 years old.
George
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Hi George, unfortunately Kelly is offline.

The fact the fuse isnt tripping in the plug this sounds like an earth fault, in the circuit breaker does it say RCD or MCB?

You will probably find the water generated from defrosting the freezer has gotten into the unit and resulting it trip, since we have some very warm summer days, I would take the fridge\freezer outside leave it in the sun with the door open, to help it dry out, then try and plug it in and see if it trips again.

James