George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

AEG washing machine finished cycle with a small amount of

Customer Question

AEG washing machine finished cycle with a small amount of water remaining in drum. Used emergency hose to drain remaining water. Emptied machine of clothes. Checked impeller clear. Now machine won't start on any cycle. Close door. Choose cycle. Start/pause button flashes but does nothing. Checked for delayed start. Powered on and off. Start/pause button still just flashes but does not start machine.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 7 months ago.

Hello Mike,

Please tell me the following information:

1. The Model of the appliance (Label inside door opening)
  2. Product Code (Label inside door opening)
  3. Flashing of Start button.. Number of flashes (Green / Red)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model: AEG model # L63742V1
Product Code:###-##-####02
Continuous red flashing.

Hello Mike,

How many times does the LED flash before pausing to start flashing again?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't understand your question. Sorry. Sequence is: close door; select (any) programme; start/pause button flashes red as normal. Display displays programme time as normal. All modifier buttons change the display as normal (e.g. time, spin rate, etc). At this point, pressing this button would normally start the cycle. However, now, pressing the button does nothing at all and it just continues flashing until the programme selector dial is turned back to zero. There is no pause - just continuous blinking at a steady rate several as if waiting to be pressed.

.

Thanks for the explanation Mike..

The error codes on the appliance are signalled by Flashing Red or Red & Green of the Start Button whereby the start button of the appliance would normally be Green

---------------------------

1. Switch off the appliance.
2. Press and hold down the START/PAUSE button and the nearest OPTION button
simultaneously (as represented in figure).
3. Holding down both buttons, switch the appliance on by turning the programme selector one
position clockwise.
4. Continue to hold down the buttons until the LEDs begin to flash (at least 2 seconds).
In the first position, the cycle tests the operation of the buttons and the relative LEDs. If the
selector is turned clockwise, the cycle performs the diagnostics for the various components and
reads the alarm codes.

5. Turn the programme selector clockwise (version with knob) to the tenth position to read the Error Code.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't think we are talking about the same machine! Programmes are not numbered. There is no POWER ON switch - just the start/pause button that should start a selected programme but only blinks. I did try your (first) solution assuming that Px numbers were numbered clockwise from 12 o'clock but this did nothing. On returning to the computer I see a second message from you and will now try this. (See attached images for my machine's control panel).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have now carried out your second set of instructions (which made a lot more sense). At position 1 I get C11 then every other position up to and including 10 I get an error code E51. Continuing clockwise beyond 10 I get - in sequence - C0, C8, C24, C28, C30, C19, C15, C31, C29, C25.

E51.. Thanks.. One moment whilst I check on that for you

E51

Motor power supply triac short circuited

PCB faulty; Current leakage from motor or from wiring

.

What you can do it to check the brushes in the motor to see if they are causing the short circuit.. Clean any carbon that is on the commutator where the brushes connect to.

.

Hopefully it will be just the brushes needing to be changed. Alternatively the PCB is at fault or there is a current leak from the motor

Do you have a multimeter Mike?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
George
I am partially disabled and cannot access the back of the (fitted) appliance to access the back panel and thence the motor (and I doubt my technical capacity to do the check on the motor / brushes myself anyway). (Nor do I own a multimeter). With the alternative possibility that it is the PCB I think I now have no choice but to get a service engineer out to my premises. At least I now know that their call-out charge is worth paying and that it is not just some trivial error at our end (on my wife's part of course - the machine operator). Do you have any feel for whether it is worth paying for a new PCB (if needed) for a machine of this vintage?

It depends on the condition of the appliance Mike.. They were very good machines.. Hopefully it'll not be an excercise of too much expense for you.

Maybe they will offer you an all-in repair cost..

--------

.

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided (5 stars is best) at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I'll sign off now and will do the star rating. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Mike..

If you get the chance, let me know how you fair with the job.

kind regards

George

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just an update. Service engineers attended today and confirmed your diagnosis. However, they are at present unable to proceed with repairs as the machine turns out to have been so boxed in in a fitted kitchen that they cannot access it at all. Now waiting for kitchen fitters to rectify their bad installation so that we can proceed with repairs or (more likely - given the cost of parts quoted and the risk of an underlying fault that will blow a replacement PCB) machine replacement (not much more than the cost of repairs). Thanks for your earlier help.

Thanks for the update Mike.

regards

George

Have a good Bank Holiday