JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My hot point washing machine would not do the fast wash

My hot point washing machine would not do the fast wash cycle. Then the lights on the console began flashing, so I turned it off, as indicated in the trouble shooting instructions. When I turned it on again it just ticked, but nothing else happened. I have tried for an hour to get some help from Hotpoint, to no avail.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a hardware fault on the washer, can you advise when you turn it on if there are any light illuminated and if any are flashing (if so how many times).

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just turned it on again and it isn't flashing, it is showing
Anti-stain programme. I have turned it to fast wash and all seems to be well, but before when I turned it on it just ticked for about ten minutes. IM not going to press start unless you ask me to.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

There is clearly an intermittent fault, I would put it on a simple rinse to start with and see if it completes without issue.

If that completes then put it on the fast wash.

At any point if it shows an error code on the display or you have lights flashing, take note of which lights are flashing, and how many times (unless continuous).

The ticking noise is just the relays, it probably went into a fault mode which rests itself after a given period of time.

If you are able to reproduce the fault, let me have the info about which point in the cycle it failed, what lights were flashing and also the model of hotpoint washer you have, and I can talk you through some further troubleshooting steps.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just managed to get the door open and have removed the towels. The ones at the bottom are soaking, but there has been no movement and the soap thing is still full. Shall I do spin rinse and pump out with it empty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is A Hotpoint Futura HF 8D 393
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flashing began about ten minutes after I pressed the start button. Before that it was motionless except for the ticking.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Its not a good idea to have the machine spinning empty, I would put the wet towels back in (they need to be spun anyway), or if your worried about not getting them out put some old clothes or tea towels in there, you need the drum at least 25% full.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive put the towels back and pressed start button but nothing happening except for the ticking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing, just ticking - 3 minutes now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've turned it off again. Absolutely nothing happening. Could I have pressed the reduced creases by accident. According to the book that can trigger a delayed start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the delay, in responding I was caught up with another job.

Reduced creases wouldnt give you the fault you have, with no lights showing.

This is a hardware fault and will unfortunately mean a engineer needs to come down and strip down the unit.

It may well be a pump fault, however the fact you are not seeing any lights on the display would suggest it could be a failed control panel. When the engineer strips it down they will be able to test each component and confirm which parts needs to be replaced.

If you would like me to recommend an engineer, please provide your post code, should you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help, James. I have now arranged for someone to come round next week. Your input has been very useful.Warm regards,
Pam.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.
No problem, so I can close the case I would appreciate if you can rate the service received.
James