JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Have just purchased the Panasonic Bread machine SD2501. My

Customer Question

Have just purchased the Panasonic Bread machine SD2501.
My bread is turning out very heavy and spongy with no crust even though
I am following the recipes from the manual and using hard crust.
Can you help
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

This doesnt sound like a mechanical issue but a ingredient one.

Assuming you are using fresh ingredients, as aged flower and yeast (even though in date) can cause problems, it sounds like there is insufficient yeast or to much water, I would start but reducing the water content by 20ml and increasing the yeast content by 5g and see what happens.

Some flours just react differently, so you could try placing the bread in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes at 200 degress.

To double check and rule out a thermostat issue (in the unlikely event the bread is being cooked below the required temp), you could pick up some of the ready made \ mixed bread such as Wrights Baking Bead Mix, which is just a case of adding water to, check it says its suitable for bread mixers and see how that comes out, if that is also spongy\heavy this would suggest a problem with the heating cycle.

James