Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

The freezer on my hotpoint fridge freezer keeps freezing up

The freezer on my hotpoint fridge freezer keeps freezing up preventing the air circulation to the fridge. I continually switch the whole thing off and when it is switched back on the fridge works for a short while and then starts to get warm again.
Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

May I have the Full model # of your freezer so I can assist you properly?

Also how old is your freezer approximately?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is the Hotpoint Future Frost Free fridge/freezer FF200LG. It is approximately 5 years old.
Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Sorry for the delay.

This problem is caused by a defrost component failing.

It could be one of three parts, either the defrost timer, heater or the Bi-metal sensor clipped to the cooling coils behind the rear wall inside the freezer.

Is there considerable ice on the rear wall inside the freezer section?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it seems to be more in the centre than the top and bottom part of the grid. The engineer said that he has not been able to find the reason for this. I turned the fridge and freezer off completely from Friday through to Monday and at the moment the fridge is much colder, but the problem seems to be returning more regularly. I will certainly pass this information on to him and get him to check these parts.
Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.

Hi, yes thats what I suspected.

Whats likley happening could be a bad door seal, or one of the defrost components. I woudl tell your engineer to check the Bi-Metal sensor and the defrost heater with an OHM meter. More than likley it is one of these two parts causing this issue.

Neither part is very expensive, I usually replace both when i do a job like this so I am sure the issue is solved and the fridge wont need repairs again like that for a long time;-)

Please remember to rate my service kindly at this time So I can remain with you and please write me back when you have had it repaired so I know for sure what was the issue and that your fridge is working as it should;-)

There is no extra cost for that and its also the only way I am compensated for my time and expertise with you, this is my job as well;-)

Thank you again. Sincerely

Tech Michael

Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much Michael for your swift response. The fridge is working quite efficiently now but I will definitely pass this on to the engineer when it happens again.Kind regards
Sue
Expert:  Michael replied 6 months ago.

Thank you Sue, and all my best!

Sincerely

Tech Michael