Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have an AEG Fridge/Freezer model number S 73402 CNS1

Customer Question

I have an AEG Fridge/Freezer model number S 73402 CNS1 bought in October 2012.Recently it developed the following fault: Whilst the refrigerator operates at the selected temperature, the temperature in the freezer does not go down further than -10C. I noticed that there was a build-up of ice on the roof of the freezer (above the top drawer) which I eliminated by switching off the unit, opening the door and letting the ice melt. Thereafter the temperature went down to -18C as it should be but after a couple of the days the temperature rose to around -10C. Whatcould be the cause? Any suggestions?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

On this one you may have a defrost component failure. But its too soon to be sure.

The reason for the problem you are having is that this one needs a complete defrost with the power turned off to your fridge / freezer for 24 hours with the doors open. once thats done, the unit should be re powered and likley it will work fine for at least 2 weeks. If the problem arises again please simply reply to me for help determining the exact part that may have failed, usually the defrost heater in this one would be the cause or the timer for the defrost feature.

But it may be fine after the defrost especially if its been powered for a few years;-)

Also make sure your door seals are good all the way around as that will cause this problem as well.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael,
Thanks for your reply. I will do as you suggest - even losing the entire contents of my freezer - and I will get back to you.
Thanks & Best Regards.
EdPS: I forgot to mention that about 2 weeks ago a strange noise came from the appliance - a kind of juddering and it sounded though it was coming from the compressor. When I opened the fridge door, the noise stopped and when I closed the door, the noise started again. It stopped after about half and hour. This happened 3 times in the last month. Don't know if this means anything to you.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ed thanks for that info. Usually that is the compressor banging a it. This will happen if the mounts are loose or work. But its not likley the cause of the issue.

I need you to let me knwo when you have defrosted the unit completely so we can be sure whats happening.

It may ok, but we wont know for sure for a couple of weeks unless you want to disassemble the rear wall inside the freezer to access and test a few things? You will need a meter for that process.

You can pick up a cheap one from most hardware stores local to you. You just need a digital multi meter fro that work;-)

Please remember to rate my service at this time so I can stick with you until we know for sure whats wrong.

Thank you Ed.

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for my late response. I have followed your advice and switched off the entire unit at the mains, left the doors open for 72 hours (by the way: lost the entire contents of my fridge and freezer worth about € 100), switched the appliance on again and after a wile the temperature in the freezer went down to -25C. You say it should work fie for at least 2 weeks. Why only two weeks and not two months or two years? I don't understand that logic. Can you please explain. After a couple of days the temperature rose to -18C in the freezer whilst the temperature in the fridge stayed stable at the selected +5C. Can you explain this, please.
Thanks & Best Regards
Ed
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ed, the reason for what I said, is that the unit should run normally now. Please let me know if it isn't?

Its because the unit has been defrosted and it should be clear of any ice behind the rear wall in the freezer, is no longer blocked by ice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael,
Thanks for your response. You haven't answered my question why it should work for - as you said - at least two weeks. Can you please explain this to me. Also I don't understand why there should be a build-up of ice behind the rear wall as this model (AEG Santo NoFrost) is supposed to be frost-free.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael,Two days ago I sent you a message with a couple of questions, which you have not answered. Can I have your response please.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Ed
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Ed, Im sorry I was out sick.

The reason I said there may ice build up behind the rear wall in the freezer is because even though it IS a frost free unit, when one of the defrost components fail, It wont be still frost free and that is the reason for that part of your answer/

As for the two weeks, it would take that long to re freeze up behind the wall, so then we would know with out you having to take it apart yet if its really ok.

Sincerely

Tech Michael